(Closed!) Seeking Sprite Artist for Mystery VN

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Facelord
Regular
Projects: Codebreaker, Tiresias, XoX
Organization: GoCoPro

(Closed!) Seeking Sprite Artist for Mystery VN

#1 Post by Facelord »

I'm writing a brain-bending mystery visual novel, and I'm looking for a sprite artist with a semi-realistic or detailed style - think Zero Escape, Persona or Stein's Gate, and NOT the Sakura games or Nekopara. Around 12 sprites are needed, some with more expressions than others. I need an artist equally skilled at drawing male and female characters, as the cast's gender makeup is split 50/50.

My previous sprite artist offered closed eye and open mouth layers with her sprites at no extra cost, and I already coded in the simple blink and talk animations. After seeing the difference between animated and still characters, and how little work it actually takes to add the feature in, I'm never going back to still sprites. If you're intimidated by the thought of animating sprites, I can provide reference materials and help you figure it out, but if you don't think you'd be capable even with some training, then you might wanna move on to the next project in need of an artist.

The story is set in Salt Lake City, Utah, and while I don't want to give away too many story details before release, I will say that it blends socializing with an interesting cast of characters with mystery and conspiracy-hunts, with the protagonist applying a skeptic's eye to try to get to the bottom of a very real, very big problem. I'm targeting a T-rating, so as far as content you'll need to be comfortable drawing, the worst I may have would be a dead body, small amounts of blood, or a post-coitus cuddling CG. Release platforms will be Android, iOS and PC, only language at launch will be English, and we're working without a publisher - all funded out of my pocket. Budget permitting, I may be able to add full voice acting and have the script translated to other languages later down the production pipeline.

If you want this position, we'll need to discuss your rates. If you're interested, either PM me or post a response to this thread, and be sure to have your portfolio ready(DeviantArt is fine).
Last edited by Facelord on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 12 times in total.

chaotiqueparadis
Regular
Deviantart: chaotiqueparadis

Re: Seeking Sprite Artist for Brain-Bending Mystery VN

#2 Post by chaotiqueparadis »

I can apply for sprite artist.
http://lunaeiraes.deviantart.com/gallery/

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#3 Post by Fungii »

I have a thread located here that has my rates listed, as well as an art blog that has a better snap shot of my work here, if you'd like to take a look.

Facelord
Regular

#4 Post by Facelord »

Your art's really cute, Fungii(especially the Matsu one on your Tumblr), but unfortunately not the style I'm after. Same to you, Chaotiqueparadis. Thanks for expressing interest, and good luck with your future work, but I'm gonna have to pass.

Position's still open, if anyone else wants to post their portfolio. I give every one of them a good look, but I may have to spend a few hours looking at portfolios on sites like DeviantArt to find what I'm after.

~Edit~
Additional requirement: If you're crazy, unprofessional or have terrible communication skills, move on to the next project in need. I've had bad luck with unprofessional artists.
Last edited by Facelord on Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thooruchan
Regular
Completed: The Festival, a YGO fangame
Projects: Charming Monsters (WIP)
Organization: DrawOrDrop Studio
Tumblr: thooruchan
Deviantart: thooruchan

Re: Seeking Sprite and Background Artists for Mystery VN

#5 Post by thooruchan »

Hello, I'm interested and I could do spritework for you. I have no problem with animating either (not just blinking and talking but small gestures like in 999 -god I love that game, you have good taste-)
For my latest works and style (though I can adapt) check out the current VN I'm making at http://charmonthegame.tumblr.com/ and also my other game art at http://siklogame.tumblr.com/ aaand finally my website www.drawordrop.com

If you think my style fits we can discuss rates privately.
Charming Monsters, the webcomic Visual Novel BL game.

PunishedKom
Tumblr: Komics-Maker

#6 Post by PunishedKom »

I'll throw my hat into the ring as well. I have never animated before but I'm confident I could do so provided you offer the references. I learn (and work) incredibly fast.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=39539

Facelord
Regular

#7 Post by Facelord »

PunishedKom - great artwork. I like some of your TalesUntold designs, like the Etrian Odyssey and Overwatch characters. I'm not quite seeing anything that would fit this game, unfortunately, but it's good stuff nonetheless. I hope you can get some good projects soon!

Thooruchan, I'm gonna go ahead and PM you for more information. You might be a good fit.

PunishedKom
Tumblr: Komics-Maker

#8 Post by PunishedKom »

Those actually WERE Etrian Odyssey characters. I recently did a round of 17 studies from that series to increase my ability to draw cute characters, haha. Thank you for your encouragement though, good luck!

whitty-boo
Regular
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino, Connection Pending, Cadence is Elsewhere
Tumblr: jwhitnee

#9 Post by whitty-boo »

Feel free to check out my stuff! My website is jwhitneyart.com and my sketchblog/doodle blog is jwhitnee.tumblr.com. I can do anything between super simple to full digital painting, so please don't hesitate to check through the various styles to see what is to your liking . If you feel like you could work with me, feel free to send me an email to jwhitneyart(at)gmail(dot)com. Thank you for your time!

Ryn_Cherry
Tumblr: None
Deviantart: RynCherry
Github: None
Soundcloud: Ryn_jkpopfan

Re: (Open) Seeking Sprite Artist for Mystery VN

#10 Post by Ryn_Cherry »

Hey, wondering if my art style will do for you: http://ryncherry.deviantart.com/art/OC- ... -628413596 (my latest digital character art). I felt like this seemed like what you are looking for, based on the examples you gave.

SexBomb
Regular
Completed: Up All Night, Reaper's Rite, Nameless
Projects: Up All Night 2
Organization: Fiendish Fiction
Tumblr: sexviolenceandvideogames
Deviantart: cooldrinkofwater
itch: fiendishfiction

#11 Post by SexBomb »

Oh what the heck, I'll throw my portfolio out there. You can check out my lemmasoft thread here, and my full portfolio here. My style is very unique, so it may not be the right fit for your project, but I am too intrigued by your VN not to put myself out there.

I am very accustomed to animation, so blinking/talking sprites wouldn't be a problem.

My work has been heavily inspired by the character designs in 999/Zero Escape/Ace Attorney/Dangan Ronpa/ect, and I have long been a fan of the mystery genre.

All the best in finding a fitting artist!

SpoiledChestnut
Tumblr: spoiledchestnut

#12 Post by SpoiledChestnut »

Hello there! This'll be my first post on these boards and I'm still setting up my freelance thread in the artist for hire forum. I'm available for commission and my basic prices are found here for now: http://spoiledchestnut.tumblr.com/commissions

Feel free to message me with any questions! I'll drop another message when I get my thread up and running!

Facelord
Regular

#13 Post by Facelord »

Thanks for expressing interest, guys. Lots of great applicants, but I'm still not seeing any stylistic matches.

I'm gonna scour the "I am an Artist" forums here again and look around elsewhere for a perfect fit; if anyone else wants to apply, don't be afraid to post! I don't bite applicants, I mostly just disappoint them. ;w;

SpoiledChestnut
Tumblr: spoiledchestnut

#14 Post by SpoiledChestnut »

Do you think you could provide a little more information on the kind of style you're looking for?

Facelord
Regular

#15 Post by Facelord »

I'm after a clean, kinda anime-inspired art style with somewhat realistic proportions, consistency and a nice, restrained style. My characters are written very realistically, and they generally dress in realistic, modern clothes - blue jeans, T-shirts, and other casualwear. I've noticed many sprite artists just draw radical fashion that you'd never find in the real world, which doesn't help me much. Since my cast is 50/50 male/female, I need an artist who can do both male and female characters exceptionally; unfortunately most sprite artists seem to focus primarily on female characters and feminine men, and that also doesn't suit the story I'm trying to tell.

Like I said in the original post, Zero Escape, Persona and Stein's Gate are great examples of the kinda style I'm after.