Mannequin - A 2D Character CG Generator

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
helloar14

Mannequin - A 2D Character CG Generator

#1 Post by helloar14 »

Hi there,

Are you a non-artist looking for a quick way to prototype/produce character CGs for your VNs?
Then you might be interested in my app Mannequin, which is currently available for early access on itch.io (demo available)

Mannequin is a 2D Character CG Generator aimed for VNs and DRPGs (or JRPGs in general) that enables you to create character CGs by mix and matching
templates.

The available components is still limited for now, but content updates are free and will be added in a rapid pace (since the core functionality of the app is mostly done).

Some screenshots:

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Last edited by helloar14 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BáiYù
Regular
Completed: This Life Escapes Me, Up All Night, Lotus: The Self-Made Witch
Projects: Various
Organization: tofurocks, Fiendish Fiction, Spider Lily Studios
Github: baiyu-dev
itch: tofurocks

Re: Mannequin - A 2D Character CG Generator

#2 Post by BáiYù »

Very impressive work! Of all the character generators I've seen, this is by far one of the best. I purchased a copy and can't wait for more templates to work with.
Games and supplementary Ren'Py codes

helloar14

#3 Post by helloar14 »

BáiYù wrote:Very impressive work! Of all the character generators I've seen, this is by far one of the best. I purchased a copy and can't wait for more templates to work with.
Thank you very much! Don't forget that requests/suggestions are always open :wink:

Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

#4 Post by Mama J »

OOOOOH THIS IS AMAZING, thank you for making this available!! I'm TERRIBLE with art and can't even draw a decent stick figure to save my life so this will definitely come in handy!

Shagwrath
Regular
Projects: Shison L, Cosmic Raven
Organization: Progeny Gaming, LLC.
IRC Nick: Shagwrath
Deviantart: shawnbaybo

#5 Post by Shagwrath »

$3? Yah, will try it out. Looks good though tbh, and will definitely use it on my current project.

Something I thought of, and some other people may ask: Can the art generated in this program be used for commercial projects?
Cosmic Raven - Episode 1
[KN][Comedy][Sci-Fi][Short][18+]

Dollysama
Regular
Projects: SH Academy
Organization: Asterisk*Games

#6 Post by Dollysama »

This looks awesome, I'll definitely purchase it at some point.

helloar14

#7 Post by helloar14 »

Shagwrath wrote:$3? Yah, will try it out. Looks good though tbh, and will definitely use it on my current project.

Something I thought of, and some other people may ask: Can the art generated in this program be used for commercial projects?
Yes (as stated on the store page).

The $3 price is for early access though. As the development progress, it will raise little by little until it reaches $19.99 projected final price at 1.0 release.

Hope you'll like it!

Shagwrath
Regular
Projects: Shison L, Cosmic Raven
Organization: Progeny Gaming, LLC.
IRC Nick: Shagwrath
Deviantart: shawnbaybo

#8 Post by Shagwrath »

helloar14 wrote:
Shagwrath wrote:$3? Yah, will try it out. Looks good though tbh, and will definitely use it on my current project.

Yes (as stated on the store page).

The $3 price is for early access though. As the development progress, it will raise little by little until it reaches $19.99 projected final price at 1.0 release.

Hope you'll like it!
I checked it out and I'm not disappointed, it will be nice to see it develop and grow. Nice clean style, very easy to use and navigate, well worth the price to invest in a program that will be an amazing tool.
Cosmic Raven - Episode 1
[KN][Comedy][Sci-Fi][Short][18+]

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#9 Post by netravelr »

Picked it up myself as well. Looking forward to seeing new content being added, but in the meantime I'd be interested to see if it'd be possible to create new content for the system myself, or rather commission other artists to create content that would fit into the program, such as new poses, clothing, and/or hairstyles.

Cheers!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

helloar14

#10 Post by helloar14 »

netravelr wrote:Picked it up myself as well. Looking forward to seeing new content being added, but in the meantime I'd be interested to see if it'd be possible to create new content for the system myself, or rather commission other artists to create content that would fit into the program, such as new poses, clothing, and/or hairstyles.

Cheers!
User-generated content is something that we already planned, but it's still a far away milestone.

Before telling other people about how to make content for the app, first we have to be certain that our templating system (file structure, rendering method, etc)
works well; otherwise it will cause headache for creators if the specifications/guidelines changes frequently.

By working on various original content, we will try to discover if there's anything that can be improved/optimized in the system,
so creators can have it easy when user-generated content is fully implemented.

Thanks for your understanding!

lets_try_it

#11 Post by lets_try_it »

Will you guys have a place to send request components (clothing and facial features, for instance)? I just purchased it, and it looks amazing. I am looking forward for different lip sizes and different hair textures (like afro hair)!

helloar14

#12 Post by helloar14 »

lets_try_it wrote:Will you guys have a place to send request components (clothing and facial features, for instance)? I just purchased it, and it looks amazing. I am looking forward for different lip sizes and different hair textures (like afro hair)!
Yes, you can post it here: https://itch.io/t/28508/suggestionsrequests

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#13 Post by PyTom »

Quite nice. I haven't gotten a chance to try this out, but it certainly looks good, and something that's likely to see lot of use in certain genres of games. (Solo NaNoRenO efforts come to mind.)

One visual novel related feature might be the ability to set up a character and a set of expressions, and then export them as a set of files named in the format Ren'Py accepts. (So like "jane sweater happy.png", "jane sweater mad.png", etc.) This way, people can just export (or copy the exported files) into Ren'Py's images directory, and be good to go.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

helloar14

#14 Post by helloar14 »

PyTom wrote:Quite nice. I haven't gotten a chance to try this out, but it certainly looks good, and something that's likely to see lot of use in certain genres of games. (Solo NaNoRenO efforts come to mind.)

One visual novel related feature might be the ability to set up a character and a set of expressions, and then export them as a set of files named in the format Ren'Py accepts. (So like "jane sweater happy.png", "jane sweater mad.png", etc.) This way, people can just export (or copy the exported files) into Ren'Py's images directory, and be good to go.
This is actually a very neat idea.

I'm also considering a feature where PNG export can output separate file for body and face layer. This seems to be used a lot in Japanese VNs.

Still quite a long way though! :D

helloar14

#15 Post by helloar14 »

FYI, new version (0.1.1) is already live on Itch!

If you're using the Itch app, auto-update should start automatically.

View the changelog here: https://itch.io/t/28507/release-infochangelog

Looking forward for your feedbacks! :wink: