Ren'Py 6.99.11 Pre-Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
NocturneLight
Regular
Projects: Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch
Organization: Reminiscent 64
Tumblr: Reminiscent64
itch: Reminiscent64

Re: Ren'Py 6.99.11 Pre-Released

#31 Post by NocturneLight »

If I'm wrong and it was intended to work like that the entire time, then by all means go ahead and correct me.

The window_xfill bug has been fixed in the updated Pre-Released version. This now produces centered text like in the current version of Ren'Py.

Code: Select all

define none = Character(None, what_xalign = 0.5, window_yalign = 0.5, window_xfill = False, window_yfill = False, window_background=None) 

However, when you switch window_xfill to True, the text continues to stay centered.

In the current release of Ren'Py, whenever I had window_xfill set to True, the text would be on the left side of the screen instead of the center.
The Old Guard is at His Limit. The time is near to usher in the New Guard.

The Great Horror is soon to be free.

Clarevine is the key.

"Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch" is a yuri visual novel that shatters english visual novel norms and aims to blend Christianity and the Cthulhu Mythos to tell a deep and dark story that you'll enjoy. You can follow the Kickstarter here.

Stay sound and persist through the chaos,
NocturneLight

AXYPB
Regular
Github: AXYPB

#32 Post by AXYPB »

Aoide wrote:
PyTom wrote:Aoide, is your system set to a Japanese encoding by default? If not, this is a known bug. If so, I have a new issue to fix.
My Win 7 was installed as and runs in Japanese, so I assume it's set to Japanese encoding as default. Is there anything specific you want me to check?

Also, unrelated, but is there any chance you can add a way to turn Auto-Forward Time off in the default Preferences screen? The slider just adjust how fast/slow it is without giving you the ability to opt out of the feature, which is kind of inconvenient.
I attempted to reproduce the first issue in my English edition of Windows 10 Pro by setting the default display language to Japanese, but when I try to change the project directory to one containing Japanese characters, the launcher simply defaults to the Ren'Py directory.

Tangentially related to the second, is there a way to forcibly disengage skipping within the script? I try to set _skipping to False during moments when I want to disallow skipping, but if the skip key was being held down when _skipping is set to False, when it is set to True, the skip remains even if the key was released in the interim. This is a particular issue when skipping all messages is allowed.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#33 Post by nyaatrap »

Slider is insensitive when thumb is None.

I created a new project then copied bar style onto slider like the following

style slider:
    ysize gui.slider_size
    #base_bar Frame("gui/slider/horizontal_[prefix_]bar.png", gui.slider_borders, tile=gui.slider_tile)
    #thumb "gui/slider/horizontal_[prefix_]thumb.png"
    left_bar Frame("gui/bar/left.png", gui.bar_borders, tile=gui.bar_tile)
    right_bar Frame("gui/bar/right.png", gui.bar_borders, tile=gui.bar_tile)
Then started a game and opened preferences. On this screen, each slider is shown correctly using bar images, but they can't be focused. What am I doing wrong?

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#34 Post by nyaatrap »

I found some screens on the new gui use style_prefix, but some are still using style_group. Shouldn't all of them use only style_prefix?

NocturneLight
Regular

#35 Post by NocturneLight »

Transitions, or at the very least just Dissolve and Fade, are not working properly.

## The script of the game goes in this file.

## Declare characters used by this game. The color argument colorizes the name
## of the character.

define e = Character('Eileen', color="#c8ffc8")

## The game starts here.

label start:
    scene
    with Dissolve(0.9)

"Hello, world."

e "You've created a new Ren'Py game."

e "Once you add a story, pictures, and music, you can release it to the world!"

## This ends the game.

label scene2:
    scene
    with Dissolve(0.9)

e "Hello again."
    e "It happened again, didn't it?"

return
When Ren'Py goes to a new label and that label has a transition, the screen will fade to black, and then at the very last second quickly switch to the label's background, then switch back to black, then switch back to the label's background, then switch back to black again. After that, everything in the label works just fine so far.

Clarevine is the key.

"Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch" is a yuri visual novel that shatters english visual novel norms and aims to blend Christianity and the Cthulhu Mythos to tell a deep and dark story that you'll enjoy. You can follow the Kickstarter here.

NocturneLight

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#36 Post by PyTom »

(I'll reply to more posts later.)

NocturneLight, I don't think this is an actual bug in Ren'Py, but perhaps is an issue with how you're using scene without placeholder images. This means that Ren'Py is trying to dissolve from one transparent screen to another, with undefined results. (On the OpenGL renderer, you tend to get darkness.)

When I changed this code to read:

## The game starts here.

label start:
    scene bg foo
    with Dissolve(0.9)

"Hello, world."

## This ends the game.

label scene2:
    scene bg bar
    with Dissolve(0.9)

e "Hello again."

return
Everything works fine. You could also change config.window to "hide" in renpy.config, and things will work the same as they did previously.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

NocturneLight
Regular

#37 Post by NocturneLight »

PyTom wrote:(I'll reply to more posts later.)

NocturneLight, I don't think this is an actual bug in Ren'Py, but perhaps is an issue with how you're using scene without placeholder images. This means that Ren'Py is trying to dissolve from one transparent screen to another, with undefined results. (On the OpenGL renderer, you tend to get darkness.)

When I changed this code to read:

## The game starts here.

label start:
    scene bg foo
    with Dissolve(0.9)

"Hello, world."

## This ends the game.

label scene2:
    scene bg bar
    with Dissolve(0.9)

e "Hello again."

return
Everything works fine. You could also change config.window to "hide" in renpy.config, and things will work the same as they did previously.

Hm... Creating a placeholder background like bg foo does fix the problem.

But, at least on my end, config.window being set to "hide" isn't making it work the previous way.

Clarevine is the key.

NocturneLight

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#38 Post by PyTom »

NocturneLight @ viewtopic.php?p=423816#p423816

I think the current behavior is better than the old behavior. what_xalign = 0.5 specifies that the text should be centered, and now it is.

AXYPB

I was able to recreate the issue, and it should be fixed in 6.99.11.1700.

nyaatrap @ viewtopic.php?p=423834#p423834

There was a bug in Ren'Py that broke focus that I've fixed. That being said, that code won't actually show the bar being focused, since there aren't any hover_ images. (And even if there were, prefix_ isn't used.) But at least now, you can click and drag and the bar will change.

nyaatrap @ viewtopic.php?p=423846#p423846

Yup! The gui template has been fixed.

NocturneLight,

I can't see any problems with Dissolve. It's a bit confusing to understand what's going on without any images in place - the screen will go black in that case. But as best as I can tell, your examples are working as intended given the effect of the new config.window variable.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#39 Post by PyTom »

6.99.11.1700)

I've uploaded the third 6.99.11 prerelease. This:

* Fixes a bug with focus and clipping (of the sort that viewport and vpgrid do).
* Renames style_group to style_prefix in the new gui template.
* Updates editra to handle more recent keywords.
* Highlights selected quick buttons in the accent color, to make them more obviously active.
* Fixes image file writing on non-ASCII windows.
* Updates the GUI documentation, including a new section on how to translate the GUI.

NocturneLight
Regular

#40 Post by NocturneLight »

PyTom wrote:NocturneLight @ viewtopic.php?p=423816#p423816

I think the current behavior is better than the old behavior. what_xalign = 0.5 specifies that the text should be centered, and now it is.

AXYPB

I was able to recreate the issue, and it should be fixed in 6.99.11.1700.

nyaatrap @ viewtopic.php?p=423834#p423834

There was a bug in Ren'Py that broke focus that I've fixed. That being said, that code won't actually show the bar being focused, since there aren't any hover_ images. (And even if there were, prefix_ isn't used.) But at least now, you can click and drag and the bar will change.

nyaatrap @ viewtopic.php?p=423846#p423846

Yup! The gui template has been fixed.

NocturneLight,

I can't see any problems with Dissolve. It's a bit confusing to understand what's going on without any images in place - the screen will go black in that case. But as best as I can tell, your examples are working as intended given the effect of the new config.window variable.

If you think it's working, then alright. I probably just shouldn't be trying to add transitions to layers without having a placeholder background in place in the first place.

Clarevine is the key.

NocturneLight

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#41 Post by xela »

Was something changed in how Ren'Py handles image bindings/Transforms? More specifically stores their states?

like:

image tag_name = MyCustomDisplayableClass(*args, **kwargs)
???

Few hundred of custom animations that worked perfectly fine in 6.10 (and many versions before that), broke down with the new version. They now run perfectly fine once but only the last frame is displayed when they are shown again.

I'll try to track down the problem myself first but if anyone has an idea of what could be a cause of this in 6.11, please let me know.

It is used as Transform("tag_name", **kwargs) which is bound to a property of a larger class instance. In previous versions, Transform would be "reset" (I guess) every time it was shown. Now it's using last state it was in, instead of a new one :(
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#42 Post by Donmai »

I've been wondering the same. In one of my projects I use this vertical scrolling image.
meeting20.jpg
It is declared using a ATL block like this:

image meeting01:
        "bg/meeting20.jpg"
        pause 2.0
        subpixel True
        yalign 1.0
        easein 10.0 yalign .0
The girl is shown using a ATL transition that slides the image into the screen.

transform slidebothright(new_widget, old_widget):
        subpixel True
        delay 3.0

contains:
            old_widget
            xanchor 1.0 xpos 1.0
            ease 3.0 xanchor 0.0

contains:
            new_widget
            xanchor 1.0 xpos 0.0
            ease 3.0 xanchor 0.0
In older versions of Ren'Py we would see the girl's feet sliding into view, then the image will pan until we can see her face. Now, in 6.99.11, we will see the girl's face sliding into the screen, then we will see her feet, and then the image panning (which has become useless, as we've seen her face already, and showing her face for the first time is a key moment in the story, hence the dramatic panning). I'm not very worried for now (I can always think of another solution), but I'm curious about what could have changed here.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#43 Post by PyTom »

Since I'm travelling, can someone send me a replication that has different behavior in .10 and .11? I can believe something may have changed, but it will be kind of hard to put together a replication. So if someone can take care of that, I can get this fixed that much sooner.

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#44 Post by xela »

PyTom wrote:but it will be kind of hard to put together a replication.
Yeah... no kidding :)

We've been working on and off on a game for over three years now and there is more than 120k lines of intertwined code and content where classes build/calculate complex arguments to call/show custom displayable, screens, atl and etc. Ripping something out that breaks on engine upgrades requires hours to narrow down the issue and to create a project to replicate it.

I've also just encountered this in a bit of code that went completely unchanged from .10 to .11:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/library/screens/arena_inside.rpy", line 46, in script
    $ pytfall.arena.check_before_chainfight()
  File "game/library/screens/arena_inside.rpy", line 46, in <module>
  File "game/library/classes - arena.rpy", line 1071, in check_before_chainfight
    self.setup_chainfight()
  File "game/library/classes - arena.rpy", line 1181, in setup_chainfight
    renpy.call_screen("arena_minigame", 50, 0.01, 6, d)
ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zero

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/library/screens/arena_inside.rpy", line 46, in script
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\ast.py", line 805, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\python.py", line 1642, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/library/screens/arena_inside.rpy", line 46, in <module>
  File "game/library/classes - arena.rpy", line 1071, in check_before_chainfight
    self.setup_chainfight()
  File "game/library/classes - arena.rpy", line 1181, in setup_chainfight
    renpy.call_screen("arena_minigame", 50, 0.01, 6, d)
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\exports.py", line 2496, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\ui.py", line 278, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\display\core.py", line 2494, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\display\core.py", line 2848, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\display\core.py", line 1914, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 416, in renpy.display.render.render_screen (gen\renpy.display.render.c:6685)
    rv = render(root, width, height, 0, 0)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 185, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2857)
    rv = d.render(widtho, heighto, st, at)
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\display\layout.py", line 661, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 103, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3319)
    cpdef render(d, object widtho, object heighto, double st, double at):
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 185, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2857)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 103, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3319)
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\display\screen.py", line 618, in render
    child = renpy.display.render.render(self.child, w, h, st, at)
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\display\layout.py", line 862, in render
    surf = render(d, width - x, rh, cst, cat)
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\display\layout.py", line 818, in render
    surf = render(d, rw, height - y, cst, cat)
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1074, in render
    back = render(style.background, bw, bh, st, at)
  File "D:\Coding\Dropbox\Dev\RenPy\renpy\display\imagelike.py", line 266, in render
    left = self.left * xborder / bw
ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zero

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.11.1700
On a side note, a lot of displayable alignments (or frame/image re-size or both) broke down but I think it is due to previous issues (that Nyaatrap mentioned on page one) that have now been fixed so I am not reporting that as a bug (yet). Chances are that it's more appropriate to rewrite a couple of screen adjusting positional properties than trying to figure out what's wrong.

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#45 Post by xela »

Ok, so I got the "Transform" thing narrowed down:

image water = anim.Filmstrip('water_1.png', (192, 192), (5, 3), 0.1, loop=False)

label start:
    $ spam = Transform("water", zoom=1.5)
    while 1:
        show expression spam at Transform(pos=(100, 100)) as tag
        pause 3
        hide tag
        "Click to try Again..."
If this change was intended and/or is necessary, this can obviously be easily fixed by removing "spam" binding from the code. In our project equivalents of spam binding make a heck load more sense when creating complex animation than in this simple example (where it is a useless step), but they are in no way vital and can be removed from the code making our animations a little less convenient to adjust/create. The difference in behavior between the two versions: in .10 animation is played properly from start to end no matter how many times it is ran, in .11 you will see it (played from start to end) once and than just get the last frame under the same code setup.

Simpler: at Transform(pos=(100, 100)) under .10 resets the "spam" instance of the Displayable, it does not do such a thing under .11.

===========================>>>>
Another (unrelated) small issue I've noticed while testing this small project:

Under .11, if you click Windows cross to shut down the program and wait (looking at confirmation screen) until pause time specified in the code runs out, you'll get the text window pop up on top of it. under .10, this does not happen.
Attachments
Just for quick replication, I do not own this art.
Just for quick replication, I do not own this art.