[ON HOLD] MxH Beat Demo [GxB/G] [Romance] [Monster-People]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ButterflyLatte
Regular
Completed: warm, Wendy, Oceanic Hearts
Projects: Red Lilies
Organization: Krispy Cat
Tumblr: butterfly-latte
Deviantart: ButterflyLatte
itch: krispycat

[ON HOLD] MxH Beat Demo [GxB/G] [Romance] [Monster-People]

#1 Post by ButterflyLatte »

ON HOLD due to technical difficulties and mental/emotional health reasons.
Karen, a recent high-school graduate, moves in with family-friends Blake and Eidel over summer...and find that she's moved into a neighborhood with some pretty cute monster-people. There's Noel, the tentacle-slime who works at the bed and breakfast you're staying in; William, the fun guy with animal features; Ellie, the cyclops barista who gives cute people freebies; and Trevor, a shy, anxious skeleton.

Befriend your neighbors, find self-confidence and your way in life, and even fall in love - both with your new home and with your desired.

Download the demo here.
Attachments
5.png
4.png
3.png
2.png
1.png
Last edited by ButterflyLatte on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: MxH Beat Demo [GxB/G] [Romance] [Monster-People]

#2 Post by Zelan »

William is a CUTIE. <3 I don't know when I'll have time to sit down and play your demo (my August is shaping up to be crazy busy), but I'll download it so it's waiting on my desktop. ^_^

EDIT: I finally got to play it! c: It took me less time than I had anticipated so I was able to get all four demo endings in one sitting, and I'm pretty sure that I saw every scene. There were a few typos/errors, but nothing major: link to screenshots here.

I know that you guys stated at the end that there was going to be an overhaul with the GUI, but I'll say what I thought about it anyway - I didn't like the way that the name box was longer than the rest of the text box. So, uh, I guess my suggestion for when you remake it: don't do that. cx Otherwise, the rest of the GUI was fine - a little simplistic, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Sometimes simplistic is better, anyway.

One of my favorite scenes was when
Karen went to the bookstore with Noel and they made fun of books together. That sounds like something that I would enjoy doing. (So thanks for the date idea, hehe.)
I like her character a lot, too; Noel seems like someone that I'd like having as a friend. Just a note, the feminine version of that name is usually spelled Noell or Noelle, but of course she's your character so it's your choice what to name her. c:

William is just too amazing ahhhh.
I love the CG of him asleep in the park!
Ellie seems like a really sweet girl, I like her a lot, too. Plus, she works at a café, so that's bonus points right there in my book. I like the relationship that she and Karen start to form in her scenes.

Trevor is... a little boring, to be honest. I think my issue with him is partially because the demo is so short, though. Since he's a shy type, I'm assuming that it'll take some time before he's comfortable talking with Karen for a long time, but because of that there really didn't seem to be too much character or relationship development in his scenes. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't outright dislike him as a character, but he's definitely my least favorite of the bunch here.
Sooooo... about those skippable H-scenes. The first thing that I thought was: how would it WORK? William and Ellie seem to be pretty straightforward, and I don't think Noel would be too difficult to figure out. But... how does Trevor work?? If skeleton anatomy is the way I think it is, he's pretty much limited to oral.

That aside, I appreciate them being skippable if we so desire, that's very thoughtful of you guys. c:
Overall, the demo is pretty solid and I'm excited to see what's to come! c:

ButterflyLatte
Regular

#3 Post by ButterflyLatte »

Zelan wrote:I didn't like the way that the name box was longer than the rest of the text box. So, uh, I guess my suggestion for when you remake it: don't do that. cx Otherwise, the rest of the GUI was fine - a little simplistic, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Sometimes simplistic is better, anyway.
Yeeeaaaah that was an accident, and part of the GUI overhaul will be fixing that, don't worry.

I'm glad you like the scenes/most of the possible love interests! The bookstore is one of my favorite parts to write, aaaand I have had some of our friends tell me that William is their personal favorite.
Zelan wrote:Just a note, the feminine version of that name is usually spelled Noell or Noelle, but of course she's your character so it's your choice what to name her. c:
Would you believe I've actually seen girls with the spelling of Noel? ;)
Zelan wrote:Trevor is... a little boring, to be honest. I think my issue with him is partially because the demo is so short, though. Since he's a shy type, I'm assuming that it'll take some time before he's comfortable talking with Karen for a long time, but because of that there really didn't seem to be too much character or relationship development in his scenes. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't outright dislike him as a character, but he's definitely my least favorite of the bunch here.
Trevor I am considering adding stuff to the first 'arc' (what the demo covers) in the final release.
Zelan wrote:
Sooooo... about those skippable H-scenes. The first thing that I thought was: how would it WORK? William and Ellie seem to be pretty straightforward, and I don't think Noel would be too difficult to figure out. But... how does Trevor work?? If skeleton anatomy is the way I think it is, he's pretty much limited to oral.
That aside, I appreciate them being skippable if we so desire, that's very thoughtful of you guys. c:
William actually gets a joke at his expense about it (spoilers, both Blake and William himself will have impressive spittakes). Noel...it's probably exactly what you're thinking. And Trevor...in Trevor's case, basically we have to have the MST3K mantra at hand. Whatever magic allows skele-people to procreate, him to be able to eat/drink with Karen on dates and walk around despite being a skeleton, can supply something.

And you're welcome! I personally don't have a problem with H-scenes, but I do want them to be skippable. They don't add anything story-wise, they're just something fun for the player/reader if they so choose.

ButterflyLatte
Regular

#4 Post by ButterflyLatte »

Just stopping in to let you know, there's a V2 demo coming out in a few days.

The v2 demo will be the final demo before I start on the full game/routes, and has:
* a new GUI
* re-drawn sprites
* new scripts/scenes (Trevor's scenes got an overhaul in particular)
* new/more choices
* new characters
* two new endings
* new music choices
* more CGs

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

Awww, the new title screen is so cute. ^_^

ButterflyLatte
Regular

#6 Post by ButterflyLatte »

Thank you!

The sprites have gotten a slight overhaul as well, of course. All I need to do currently is program them all in and finish the CGs.
ImageImageImageImage
Current Project:

gensuta
Completed: Green Hero, Solar Sprout, Saturday Fright, I Dream of OCs, Rendezvous
Projects: Skate & Date, Blastagirl, Iris, A Slow Ride
Tumblr: gensuta
Deviantart: gensuta
Github: gensuta
Soundcloud: gensuta
itch: gensuta

#7 Post by gensuta »

This game is soooo cute so far! I really like the characters to the point I can't really choose a favorite out of the four right now. They're all just so precious and cute! Can't wait to play the full game!

ButterflyLatte
Regular

#8 Post by ButterflyLatte »

gensuta wrote:This game is soooo cute so far! I really like the characters to the point I can't really choose a favorite out of the four right now. They're all just so precious and cute! Can't wait to play the full game!
Thanks a lot! So far my favorite route to work on is William's, but that's just me personally...and no spoilers from me. ;)

So, here are some more screencaps. I just need to fix the text color for the choices, and add a few more CGs, make sure the script doesn't have any errors, and the v2 demo will be ready for release!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Current Project:

ButterflyLatte
Regular

#9 Post by ButterflyLatte »

And now the v2 demo is out!

https://krispycat.itch.io/mxh-beat

With this, I can resume/finish working on the full game's routes.

Questions:
Whose route are you most curious about/which love interest is your favorite?
Would you like to see Karen's mother in the full game?
Your thoughts in general:
Current Project:

gensuta
Completed: Green Hero, Solar Sprout, Saturday Fright, I Dream of OCs, Rendezvous
Projects: Skate & Date, Blastagirl, Iris, A Slow Ride
Tumblr: gensuta
Deviantart: gensuta
Github: gensuta
Soundcloud: gensuta
itch: gensuta

#10 Post by gensuta »

Just finished playing the v2 demo!

Whose route are you most curious about/which love interest is your favorite?

For favorites I'm in between Trevor and Noel ( I still love them all tbh) but probably more curious Noel and how things will go with her route!

Would you like to see Karen's mother in the full game?

Sure I guess although she's so mean to her Karen :c

Your thoughts in general:

The cg art when you first meet trevor just looks amazing and just trevor in general is adorable( and relatable lol)
But at the same time everyone else is cute so I'm just going to have to play all the routes when it comes out.
Can't wait to play the full game!

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#11 Post by illuminate001 »

Hi, ButterflyLate! This may mainly be because of Trevor the skeleton but the quirky designs really remind me of Undertale. And not in a bad plagiarism way...this has got its own flair. I really love the aesthetic and it caught my eye. I'm currently downloading the demo and will leave a comment on my thoughts afterward.

Hope the dev for this is coming along well! ^_^
ImageImage
ImageImage

ButterflyLatte
Regular

#12 Post by ButterflyLatte »

Hey, all, just popping in with a big update!

The GUI has been redesigned, as have most of the backgrounds and CGs. There are now new CGs, new text, original music, some of the sprites have been redone...

This is the last time I revamp the demo; I hope to have finished the full game before the holiday season. Prooooooviding things don't suddenly get crazy for me.
Current Project:

ButterflyLatte
Regular

#13 Post by ButterflyLatte »

Hey, it's been a while. But I do have to get this out.

For a long time I was going to release the full game on January fifteenth but then... Well, my day job happened. Namely, my day job forcing me to look for a second day job. And the holidays. And money issues.

So I had to push back the release date a little further - MxH Beat will now be released on February fifteenth, right after Valentine's Day!
Current Project: