Generator Jam: "Now with 100% more TV Tropes!"

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

Generator Jam: "Now with 100% more TV Tropes!"

#1 Post by Ghost #9 »

G---E---N---E---R---A---T---O---R
J---A---M

Date: Open!
Duration: Two Months
Goal: Develop a game incorporating all of the elements of a randomly generated TV Tropes Story Generator prompt.
Rules
1. Declare the 7 story elements that your game will be built around. This can be done either here or in your game's development thread!
2. Pick a start date and stick with it! Unlike most jams, the day you begin active development is up to you. However, you must not create any in-game assets before that date, and the cutoff should be exactly two months after your chosen start date (e.g. 15th September-15th November). No one's going to judge you or your team if you overshoot by a few days, but do remember that one of the greatest benefits of participating in a jam is that you're pushed to finish something within a strict time limit!
3. Choose your difficulty level!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Easy - For those who like options! Generate SIX story prompts, then pick and choose one element from each category to build your story.
------------------------
Medium - If you like a challenge but don't want to get too crazy, generate SEVEN story prompts. Then, choose one set of prompts to build a story around. Must use ALL elements of a single prompt!
------------------------
Hard - Now things are getting interesting! Generate EIGHT story prompts, then use a random number generator to determine your story. Here's one: Click Me!
------------------------
INSANE! - You knew it was coming! Generate ONE story prompt. Only ONE! Whatever appears, no matter how ridiculous or nonsensical, will be your story.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Each element of your story contains a link to the article describing what it means (generally with several examples from popular media). As just the name of the trope can often be very misleading, be sure to actually read at least part of the associated article. Warning! TVTropes is basically the black hole of the internet. Enter at your own risk!
5. Pre-made assets are acceptable, as long as the story and programming are all unique to this project. In this case, pre-made refers to assets that are either freely available or that were made for a completely different project. As touched upon above, any assets made for this specific project should only be created during the participants' chosen two month period!

Feedback?

I am very open to suggestions for any aspect of this jam! Should the difficulty levels be adjusted? Are any of the rules confusing? Does it feel like I'm leaving anything out? Could the thread itself be improved in some way? Do you perhaps have an idea of your own that you'd like to see added on? Anything else at all? Just let me know in the comments!
Last edited by Ghost #9 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ghost #9
Regular

Re: Generator Jam: "Now with 100% more TV Tropes!"

#2 Post by Ghost #9 »

Reserved for FAQ!

Northern
Projects: 0's, 1's, and Squares

#3 Post by Northern »

This sounds like an awesome jam to take part in, at least for the deadline.
"I am not a coffin. Don't bury your fantasies, your sins, or your dead in me. If you can't separate fact from fiction, you might want to keep a distance." - A

Ghost #9
Regular

#4 Post by Ghost #9 »

Northern wrote:This sounds like an awesome jam to take part in, at least for the deadline.
Originally, I was going to go the traditional route of specifying a hard deadline. But, I didn't want to compete/interfere with any of the several jams already going on throughout the year.

Plus, I figured this jam is meant to be fun! Being able to choose your own start date should allow folks to work around other projects they might already have on the pipeline.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

Oh my goodness, this sounds crazy and I love it. I'll try to join if I can, although between the new school year and a few other projects I may not be able to.

Ghost #9
Regular

#6 Post by Ghost #9 »

Zelan wrote:Oh my goodness, this sounds crazy and I love it. I'll try to join if I can, although between the new school year and a few other projects I may not be able to.
You should definitely join up if you can! TV Tropes is bound to give wacky suggestions by virtue of its very nature, and there's just a ton of potential for flexing your game development wings by trying to force a bunch of random elements into a coherent plot. It's fantastic practice!