Are you looking for a coder?

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

Are you looking for a coder?

#1 Post by sciencewarrior »

Do you have strategy or RPG elements you would like to add to your game but you aren't sure how? Do you have copy-paste code all over your script that became a chore to maintain?

I'm an old geezer that has been writing if clauses and for loops since the late 80's, and I'm looking for a team.
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

tigerrenko
Regular
Projects: Partisans
Organization: Red Viking
IRC Nick: tigerrenko
Deviantart: tigerrenko

Re: Are you looking for a coder?

#2 Post by tigerrenko »

Strategy and RPG elements, drool, drool!

Yes please!

I have some ideas but I am clueless on what's easy to implement and what isn't...

TR

Hyperguy
Regular
Projects: H.EXEC

#3 Post by Hyperguy »

Out of curiosity what languages do you code in?

sciencewarrior
Veteran

#4 Post by sciencewarrior »

The usual suspects in web programming: Java, C#, Ruby, a bit rusty in PHP, and still learning Python esoterica. I vaguely remember some C.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

zetsu

#5 Post by zetsu »

It's like you read my mind, only a few days ago I was thinking about how to do a strategy style war simulation in a VN. Of course I have no clue how to do that myself, but I wouldn't want to ask you to do something with only a half-baked idea of what I'm doing either. Also curious, do you have any examples of your work? I would love to see it, especially since you have a lot of experience.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#6 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

You. Me. Bliss Stage: Visual Stage. Now. :roll: :lol:

All joking aside, if you could help me learn how to make the card-game engine do what I want it to re: BS:VS, I would much appreciate it.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Aenakume
Regular
Projects: Arts... i hate arts -_-

#7 Post by Aenakume »

And if you're still free, i've been messing around with the Ren'Py engine tryin to bend it to an idea i have in my head. It's been kicking my ass >_<; (i'm not really a programmer - i just pretend to be one cause it gets me better pay). But if you're already taken, no worries!
“You can lead a fool to wisdom, but you cannot make him think.”

sciencewarrior
Veteran

#8 Post by sciencewarrior »

I'm working on a simple inventory system and a Fire Emblem-like tactical battle module based on top of chronoluminaire's Unit Engine. Unless the universe conspires against me, I'll be able to post it in a week or so. I can take a look at the card engine then.

Now, Aenakume, I don't think this humble journeyman programmer is the guy to help you. There are four or five people here that can bring Ren'Py to its knees and make it beg for mercy, but I ain't one of them. :)

Aenakume
Regular
Projects: Arts... i hate arts -_-

#9 Post by Aenakume »

Aw well, i'll figure it out i guess. Eventually. ^_^;

Actually i have two projects on the go and one on standby while i wait for other people to sort themselves out. Funny enough neither of the ones i'm doing is actually a game. ^_^; Both are extensions to Ren'Py itself.
“You can lead a fool to wisdom, but you cannot make him think.”