shelving ren'ai project for a bit

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Eiji
Regular

shelving ren'ai project for a bit

#1 Post by Eiji »

I've stated before that I got an idea for a VN.. but since I'm also tied up on a MMOLRPG project.. I'm shelving it for the time being..

if anyone wants to know what the MOG is about ask me here (be warned though.. I'm only at liberty to discuss only so much) :twisted:

Erik
Regular

#2 Post by Erik »

Ok, I'll bite.. What is it about? :P

Eiji
Regular

#3 Post by Eiji »

put simply

its the mid-21st century and VR (Virtual Reality) has become very commonplace.
one very popular VR is caled "The Battleverse", a VR community of high tech gladiators with suits of powered armor (which they construct themselves out of components.

one intertesting feature we are hoping to implement is purely dynamic content (and we think we may be the first ones to do such a scheme)..

Let me check with my colleage on the project... I may be able to post a link to the devsite's FAQ on the game...

Erik
Regular

#4 Post by Erik »

Sounds good. What's the progress?

Eiji
Regular

#5 Post by Eiji »

:twisted:
what I can say right now is that we're using the Torque Engine (its the one used in TRIBES2 from Sierra and the [now defunct] Dynamix)

so far we had to write a MUD driver to work in Torques back-end to handle the MOG features (inventory, account management, passwords).. in short this should let us do what we want without having to rewrite half the engine.

if you want to know about this engine.. head over to http://www.garagegames.com
to use the engine for a project costs you $100 per programmer/project.
however.. theirs a new engine that might work for a Ren'ai game called "reaction" and the SDK for that is under $60..

Eiji
Regular

#6 Post by Eiji »

ok.. here's a page snippet from our Devsite...

http://members.battlebazaar.com/index.php
just read the story called "IronThunder (name will change) What to Expect"

there's also a FAQ for some extra info, albeit somewhat incomplete..

Erik
Regular

#7 Post by Erik »

It asks you (i.e., me :D) to login... I need to register? Or am I overlooking something?

Eiji
Regular

#8 Post by Eiji »

ok.. I didnt know the FAQ section was barred that way..

If you like I could type up the FAQs and post them here if that will help.

Eiji
Regular

Iron Thunder (what to expect)

#9 Post by Eiji »

ok.. for those of you who couldnt find the story I told you all about a while back... here's the URL for the article..
bear in mind you DO NOT have to register to read it..

https://www.battlebazaar.com/modules.ph ... cle&sid=21

Erik
Regular

#10 Post by Erik »

Cannot find server or DNS error. :mrgreen:

I'll try again later.

Eiji
Regular

IronThunder (name will change) What to Expect

#11 Post by Eiji »

heres the text then... posted by my coleague DaveB.

OK, I'm letting out just a little information. I see a handful of people are poking around the site now and again...

See the extended story for the details.

IT is a game based on Japanese Animation -- it features fights in a variety of locations between hardsuits. Expect fast-paced combat -- these aren't slow, ploding, monstrous mechs like you see in most games. These are small, agile, capable suits that move quickly and inflict damage.

We are using the Torque engine, the same engine that was used in Tribes 2, see http://www.garagegames.com for information.

Players will be able to fight in one-on-one combat in the arena, as well as a variety of other challenges. Because this is a multiplayer game, battles aren't limited to just 2 mechs, and unlike most games, it is possible to watch arena matches, and to socialize about them -- to place bets for in-game money, etc.

Additionally, players will be able to explore outside the arena areas, find uncontrolled regions, and claim them. They will be able to harvest resources, and they will be able to design and build bases. Suits will be highly customizable, and there will be a vast array of weaponry.

Salvage will be supported, as will trade skills. It will be possible for a skilled player to kill an enemy cleanly, so that they may claim almost intact suits. Of course, more often, the players will fight until the suits are almost completely destroyed.

Anyway, that's a brief description of what the game is without giving away too much. Expect really fast paced battles with lots of jumping, dodging and diving, just like in an anime. Expect swarms of missles going flying across the battlefield streaking to their target, beam weaponry cutting a swathe of light through the night sky, and close in melee fighting, too.

The game uses a certification system for equipment, and character skills can somewhat influence suit characteristics.

We're not letting the whole cat out of the bag right now, but in the interest of seeing if anyone is actually paying attention to the site, or if folks are just voting in the polls and then leaving, I thought I'd update the message and see what happens. =D

Erik
Regular

#12 Post by Erik »

Gimmegimmegimme! :mrgreen:

This sounds like a game one can't afford to miss, doesn't it? I'm very curious. Let that cat outta the bag already! :P

Zintar
Miko-Snatcher

#13 Post by Zintar »

That sounds really good. :twisted:

Gonna check the site now. :shock: :wink:
Feb 26, 2004 - Trinity Riot *hands Zintar the 101 Posts Award*
Feb 25, 2004 - Blue Lemma *awards the 2nd-2nd-Place Shoujo Attack Prize to Zintar*
Nov 06, 2003 - Blue Lemma *hands Zintar the Pointless Post Award*

Eiji
Regular

#14 Post by Eiji »

Ok...

Zin you wont be able to read most of theforums on the Devsite I use (battlebazaar.com).. but I think the Reaction Engine up for use on garagegames.com is PERFECT for those wanting to make simple games (heavy on puzzles at least)... and its rather cheap.. only about $50 USD (US Dollars)[/quote]

Eiji
Regular

#15 Post by Eiji »

Gimmegimmegimme!

This sounds like a game one can't afford to miss, doesn't it? I'm very curious. Let that cat outta the bag already!
patience Erik...

I cant tell you all much else since I'm not at liberty to do so...

all I can say right now is that we're trying to work out how to resolve combat.. since its an "action" game with RPG elements.. we need to work out how to resolve combat without resorting to "to-hit" rolls... (or the so-called "saving throw")