Error?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Raylin
Projects: The Box

Error?

#1 Post by Raylin »

:shock:

WARNING - BS Alert: I don't get it. My code was airtight. Now it's unraveling...

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

On line 123 of C:\Documents and Settings\Grey\Desktop\renpy-6.7.0\The Box\game/script.rpy: expected statement.
"Love can't be rushed.":
                       ^

On line 130 of C:\Documents and Settings\Grey\Desktop\renpy-6.7.0\The Box\game/script.rpy: expected statement.
"I like to choose my mate.":
                           ^

On line 140 of C:\Documents and Settings\Grey\Desktop\renpy-6.7.0\The Box\game/script.rpy: expected statement.
"I don't know.":
               ^

On line 146 of C:\Documents and Settings\Grey\Desktop\renpy-6.7.0\The Box\game/script.rpy: expected statement.
"Business before pleasure.":
                           ^

On line 151 of C:\Documents and Settings\Grey\Desktop\renpy-6.7.0\The Box\game/script.rpy: expected statement.
"I like to be given orders.":
                            ^

On line 158 of C:\Documents and Settings\Grey\Desktop\renpy-6.7.0\The Box\game/script.rpy: expected statement.
"I don't know.": 
               ^

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.7.0c
[/color]

Jake
Support Hero

Re: Error?

#2 Post by Jake »

Raylin wrote: On line 123 of C:\Documents and Settings\Grey\Desktop\renpy-6.7.0\The Box\game/script.rpy: expected statement.
"Love can't be rushed.":
^
This is the error Ren'Py gives you when you have a line of dialogue on its own with a colon at the end.

So, for example, if you had this:

"Blah blah"

"Blah blah blah"

"Love can't be rushed.":
That would result in that error.

The only reason you'd usually have a colon after dialogue is as part of a menu, which should look something like this:

menu:
        "blah blah"

"choice 1":

"response 1"

"choice 2":

"response 2"
however, if you mess the indentation up, and accidentally get one of the 'choice' lines with a colon at the end at the same level of indentation as the 'menu' statement, Ren'Py will assume that it's not part of the menu, so you would also get that error from something like:

menu:
        "Take me! Take me now!":

jump takeme

# Line below should be indented to the same start point as this line
    "Love can't be rushed.":

jump norush

So really - for each of those error lines, look at it and find out whether it's supposed to be a line of regular dialogue, or a menu choice. If it's a line of regular dialogue, remove the colon from the end; if it's a menu choice, look carefully at your indentation. If you still need help, then post the relevant parts of your script and we should be able to point out where your problems are.

(Lastly - if you're posting Ren'Py specific questions, you should really post them to the Ren'Py subforum.)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Raylin
Projects: The Box

Re: Error?

#3 Post by Raylin »

Thanks, Jake! That last solution about the indenting a choice on the same level as the menu helped! (I didn't declare the "menu:" function. :P)

Thank you!