Ghost Story

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

Ghost Story

#1 Post by Showsni »

Hm, being my first proper attempt at a Ren'Py game. Though knowing me, it might just spend ages in a half fulfilled state until I forget about it. (Note to self: must finish Zelda fanfic, painting LotR Warhammer style figues, making model castle, tidying bedroom, playing through numerous computer games, uploading Zelda CDI music, etc...)

Anyway, as the title implies, this is a ghost story. Maybe I can think of a less generic title when I'm finished. You play, um, someone. The goal is to find out who, basically. Ghosts are terrible amnesiacs. It kind of turned into a point and click story as I was going, but never mind. The current demo (such as it is) is more of a look at two thirds of the control system than the story, since it doesn't yet contain any of the other characters or storyline, or a way of interacting with anything beyond looking at it. And the demo is confined to just the main building. And it needs a lot of polishing. Anyway, maybe you'll get some enjoyment from it, and posting it up might give me more incentive to finish.
Windows:
Ghost Story Demo 1.zip
(7.99 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
Linux:
Ghost Story Demo 1-linux-x86.tar.bz2
(8.97 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
Mac:
Ghost Story Demo 1-mac.zip
(8.75 MiB) Downloaded 63 times

Mistik
Regular

Re: Ghost Story

#2 Post by Mistik »

Wow this is tons cooler then just a regular dating sim.
I'm digging both he concept- Playing as a ghost trying to find him/her/it self.
and the implementation- point and click adventure gameplay.
I couldn't find anything to touch that meant anything in the demo though =(

You had a few grammar mistakes/weird sentence structures, but its a demo so it's all cool.
I would say in the beginning don't leave it at 2 clicks to get to the next sentence that's annoying.

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Showsni »

Grammar errors? Could you point any you remember out?

At least I cleared up the problem with cases I had... Even Windows won't forgive you for a case missmatch in an imagemap picture, it seems. But paint saves Jpegs as .JPG by default, which is annoying.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

Ok, while the premise sounds interesting, I couldn't get past ... about 2 minutes of it. First, Mistik is right, the "empty sentences" are... weird. It's terribly unconventional and doesn't really work on the long run. I first waited, thinking it was one of those brief pauses. But then no. I had to click through them. And then they repeated *each* time. I ended up thinking maybe Ren'Py had some problem given how consistent it was. And then I got two sentences in a row, proving it was intentional... ^^;... Please, don't use this if you're trying to express some sort of... slow thinking or erratic thoughts. There has to be some more literary way out of this :)
I'd say the same for the
"I don't have a body."
"I don't have a body!"
While I understand the point, and it might be how a person might think it, in a VN where text always appears in the same place, the only change seen (IF spotted), is that one punctuation character. Just add something like "What the...?!" at the beginning of the second sentence to make it appear different enough.

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Showsni »

Okay, gotcha. I was going to have to rewrite the intro bit anyway, I think...