Save my HD!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

Save my HD!

#1 Post by Vatina »

I'm sorry, I know questions like this has been asked many times already, but I'm asking it again (since I couldn't find another topic to post it in).

As some of you know, my laptop went dead a couple of days ago. I can't turn it on any more - the lamps blink and it tests the dvd-drive, but the screen is off and it never goes any further than that. Just stays silent for a while and then repeats this procedure for eternity.

Now, my last external backup was in late august *head-desks*. The place where I have to hand it in for repair says that they won't take responsibility for maybe erasing all my data - so now I'm almost afraid of getting it fixed ^^; If the HD isn't damaged, could this still happen? They want me to take a backup, but I don't know how I can do that, since it won't turn on. Should I be worried? (I am)

Any ideas for a computer noob before I hand it in? I'm sure I have seen some here before, but I can't find them right now.

ficedula
Regular

Re: Save my HD!

#2 Post by ficedula »

If the hard disk isn't damaged then you can get the data off it using something like these:

http://www.xpcgear.com/notebookideusb.html

Removing the hard disk from a laptop is usually fairly easy - unscrew cover, pop it out. Although if you're not comfortable handling hardware find someone who is to do it for you...

If the hard disk IS damaged then you're in for a world of pain, and if that were the case I wouldn't give any guarantees about the data; merely trying to access the disk could potentially cause further damage, which may be why the shop won't guarantee things won't get worse. That would only apply if the disk itself were already damaged though.

Odds are good it isn't the hard disk, though, so even if the laptop is a write-off you should be able to get most if not all of your data off it. Although obviously it's hard to say 100% what the problem is just from a description.

herenvardo
Veteran

#3 Post by herenvardo »

Is your laptop under warranty? That's a key point, because if it is, and you open it, then the warranty is generally voided.
I don't know how things are done in Denmark, but both in Spain and Ireland the process of "repairing" equipment under warranty goes the same way: the faulty equipment is replaced by a new, working system or device; then the faulty piece is sent to the manufacturer, who will salvage as much as they can from it and then recycle the rest, to minimize loses.
If this also applies to Denmark, it means that you would get your laptop replaced by a new, working one; so there is no chance to recover the data during the "repair" process: the new laptop will have a brand new, empty (well, maybe with default software pre-installed, such as Windows) hard disk.

It is sometimes possible, however, to do some rescue tasks on a dying machine, without even opening it (although it depends on the severity of the issues). Are you able to enter into the BIOS/CMOS setup utility [1]? Have you tried booting from a CD (like a manufacturer's rescue disk [2], or any flavor of Linux that comes as a Live CD)? If you manage to boot something in that machine, then chances are high all data may be recovered, and maybe even the system restored, without any need to open it (unless the HD is actually damaged; but in such a case you should be happy if you manage to recover something). Even if you are unable to boot any kind of system on the laptop, different systems' error messages may help identifying the issue and figuring out a solution.
If your disk is not phisically harmed, and your core hardware is capable to boot, I can most probably guide you in safely retrieving your data before you bring the machine to the repair shop (I have good experience on computer necromancy :twisted: ).

If the laptop is not under warranty, however, there is no reason to not open it, and ficedula's suggestion would be the best approach (assuming you can figure out what is the hard disk in there once you have it open :P ): faster and more reliable recovery, and far less headaches.

Footnotes:
[1]: While starting up, most computers show a message like "Press Del to enter setup" or similar (the key to press varies from one computer to another). Pressing that key brings you into the BIOS setup utility. You should avoid changing anything in there; but checking if you are at least able to reach that utility would be a good way to check if your CPU and BIOS still work.
[2]: Trying to boot from a recovery CD is a good diagnosis technique (if it works, it shows that the problem is likely to be on the HD itself, and most probably just in the boot sectors); but engaging into the recovery process will in most cases destroy all data in the primary hard disk. Normally, this is warned by the recovery utility before starting the process. Should you reach such a warning, that's good news, meaning that your hardware is, at least, capable to boot; but don't engage in the process until you have recovered the data. Instead, reply here with your findings and we'll be able to guide you on how to rescue your data ;).
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

Jake
Support Hero

#4 Post by Jake »

herenvardo wrote:Is your laptop under warranty? That's a key point, because if it is, and you open it, then the warranty is generally voided.
Actually, a fair number of laptops have hard disks which are user-accessible. Generally speaking, look in the manual - if it tells you how to take the HDD out and doesn't warn you there that you're voiding your warranty, you should be fine.

For that matter, if you don't break any "warranty void if broken" seals or leave any other evidence of your passage, then they have no way of telling whether or not you opened the thing, took the drive out, backed up your data then put it back the way you found it. Just don't break anything incriminating while you're in there. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Vatina »

Thanks you for the advice :) The computer never reaches a point where I can input anything, so the usual stuff won't work. I'll consider some of the other options this weekend though, before handing it in. There's still warranty on it too.

Hopefully nothing is wrong the the HD, and the people repairing it won't get anything deleted....

herenvardo
Veteran

#6 Post by herenvardo »

Vatina wrote:Hopefully nothing is wrong the the HD, and the people repairing it won't get anything deleted....
I wouldn't worry too much about they getting anything deleted; but about they getting something (the HD or the entire laptop) replaced; so my best advice is that you make sure to ask about it before you hand them the machine.
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

Jake
Support Hero

#7 Post by Jake »

To be honest, I'd still be taking the HDD out and backing it up myself, if it were mine and I could do so without breaking any seals. I've heard too many stories of people being promised by store staff that their data would be preserved and getting their machines back wiped anyway.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

Just curious, please check the battery. Try powering your notebook only by AC power (no battery). I'm afraid the battery is poorly attached/damaged.
BTW, what is the brand of your notebook?

herenvardo
Veteran

#9 Post by herenvardo »

LVUER wrote:Just curious, please check the battery. Try powering your notebook only by AC power (no battery). I'm afraid the battery is poorly attached/damaged.
That's definitely worth a try: I can't tell how big is the chance it works; but there is no risk. In the worst case, you'll have just wasted a couple of minutes.
Jake wrote:To be honest, I'd still be taking the HDD out and backing it up myself, if it were mine and I could do so without breaking any seals. I've heard too many stories of people being promised by store staff that their data would be preserved and getting their machines back wiped anyway.
On that situation, I'd do the same. But there are 10 kinds of people: those who feel comfortable ripping open a PC and disemboweling it, and those who don't; and I think Vatina has never openend a PC before. Honestly, I was quite afraid the first time I opened a computer.
And, again I can't assure this applies to Denmark shops, but for what I've seen I tend to believe that bringing the computer to any kind of repair centre or shop is almost a warranty of losing all data on it. OTOH, there are many places that offer some data recovery services, at different prices (I've seen those ranging from 50€ to £700), so it's worth asking.

Now, if the data on that disk is critical enough, you should seriously consider opening the laptop and rescue it. Do you have any friend or relative that could assist you? If you can't get any help, you might still try it: don't take risks, and don't take any step until you are sure you will be able to undo it afterwards. If you still don't feel confident enough, you may write on a piece of paper everything you do, and where do you take each screw from, so you won't miss anything later. If you get stuck during the process, feel free to ask us on specifics.

Either way (taking the laptop to the repair shop or opening it) you are taking a risk (risk of losing the data vs. risk of losing the warranty); and only you can judge which one is more worth taking.

HTH

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Vatina »

I've tried starting it without the battery and the Live CD thing now, both without luck :( I'm still worried about opening it - I don't want to break the computer or the warranty. I'll try and contact my brother though, and hear what he has to say, and if he can help me in case I open it anyway.

If nothing happens, then I guess I'll just have to go plead to the shop-keepers when handing it in, and then hope for the best ^^;

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#11 Post by LVUER »

It didn't work... Sorry...

May be the best course of action now is to wait for someone (friends or brothers) who understands about PC and see what they're saying. Most of the time shops are to irresponsible to take care important data in your HD, even the official service center one.

Just to add, I think we should open the notebook and salvage the HDD. Use IDE-to-USB cable and rescue all the data using another PC. After that put the HDD back inside the notebook. After then you can begin the rescue operation for your notebook without any worries.

And may I know the brand of your notebook? Just curious.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Vatina »

Oh yeah I forgot that, sorry. It's a HP Pavillion.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Vatina »

Yaaaay! We got a call from the shop today. The computer has been fixed, and the HD is intact. Man, I'm so relieved now. Hopefully I can go there and get it back on friday - and then I'll finally be able to work on my game again ^^;

Still, thank you for all your advice. Those are some fine things to know for another time!

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#14 Post by Alessio »

Great news! And immediately when you get your PC back you will make one backup to a USB stick, then one to another USB stick, one to an external HD, one to a CD/DVD, and one to an online backup service. Oh yeah, and copy it to your mobile phone, too.

(What do you mean, "too much?" That's what I'm doing all the time...)
Current projects: Visual Novel "Cyberlin"

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Wintermoon »

With backup, it's more important to have a system for keeping your backups up to data than to have many copies. I use multiple internal disks and synchronize my backups between several computers on my LAN, but no removable media or internet-based backup. I also run my backup process several times a day. This system hasn't failed me yet, despite multiple HD failure throughout the last couple of years.