Not understanding DSE...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
imp4ever

Not understanding DSE...

#1 Post by imp4ever »

Okay, so I did the little demo thing that came with the download, and I think I understand most of the stuff. What I'm not getting is how to work with the DSE I downloaded. I read through the scripts that are in it, and they mostly make sense, but I'm not quite getting how to use them all to make a game. I'm brand new at this Ren'Py thing, but I have learned how to used rpgmaker's code system, and it doesn't seem too much more complex, and alot more flexible. Sorry for the incredibly newbish question -_-U

WHAT!!

Re: Not understanding DSE...

#2 Post by WHAT!! »

Well, I can't believe nobody answered you!!...maybe they did elsewhere. I'm just starting too, I found this program on Thanksgiving. I'm excited about using it. And am working with the DSE right now. So far I've changed wordings. I'm now going to go change the text with events...I'm so tired. But, I should be making progress.I'll let you know if I find something useful to help you with dse!!

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#3 Post by Megaman Z »

I used Ren'py off and on about two years ago, moved on to scripting languages that bordered on actual programming languages in complexity and/or confusion (google danmakufu for one of them), came back a day ago to start re-learning it, took 5 looks at the DSE, and said something to the effect of "forget it, I can't understand this, let's stick to normal ren'py script."

yes, it's complex if you don't know what you're doing, but you can get some of the same results just by using some clever variable settings and conditional branches. It's what I'm doing in my little "let's learn ren'py" miniproject (which I doubt will even see distribution - for starters, the storyline is basically a fanfic of Karin, and I already know one person that got a C&D from CAPCOM over doing a Phoenix Wright parody in Ren'py. [although he pretty much had an entire domain set up for it, so it was kinda hard NOT to notice that one])

Don't worry too much about it. if you know how the "flow" of the DSE works (or the flow of most old-school stat-based Dating Sims go), you can mimic most of it with 90% renpy script and about 10% python (variable setting and operations are python, IIRC)
~Kitsune Zeta

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#4 Post by rioka »

DSE Tutorial by ShiaraiJunichi. The definitive article on how to use DSE... because no one else wrote anything about the DSE yet! :p

If you have any problems though, ask PyTom by opening a thread here. Make sure it's specific as possible and I'm sure he or other members will help you out if they can. :)