Popularity

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

MW World Domination

#61 Post by PyTom »

Well, I just got my hands on a library that claims to be able to turn IP addresses into country codes, using a database. So of course I had to try it with MW's downloads.

Disclaimers: The data seems sane, but I haven't checked it. The database claims to be 97% accurate, but has a bit of a US bias for stuff like proxy servers. Void where prohibited by law.

The data covers downloads from bishoujo.us and renai.us. I counted each IP once, regardless of how many times/files it downloaded.

716 United States
95 United Kingdom
80 Canada
46 Germany
40 Australia
22 UNKNOWN
21 Netherlands
19 France, Italy, Philippines, Poland
16 Thailand
14 Sweden
13 China, Slovakia
12 Finland, Indonesia
11 Brazil, Portugal, Singapore
10 Czech Republic, Spain
9 Malaysia
8 Austria
7 Belgium, Japan
6 Argentina, Denmark
5 India, Ireland, Israel, Romania, Russian Federation, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam
4 Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Turkey
3 Hong Kong, Hungary, Puerto Rico, Switzerland
2 Croatia, Latvia, Oman, Peru, South Africa, Taiwan, Ukraine
1 Barbados, Bulgaria, Ecuador, Egypt, Estonia, Greece, Greenland, Iran, Islamic Republic of, Korea, Republic of, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Trinidad and Tobago, Yugoslavia

That's 63 countries in total, not counting UNKNOWN. Moonlight Walks world domination continues.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#62 Post by mikey »

It would be interesting to see what the most obvious of all candidates was able to accomplish in this department - WIRTW. :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#63 Post by PyTom »

Unless I missed something in the stats, WIRTW rules a total of 44 different countries. As one might expect, there's a larger UK:US ratio there, at least compared to MW.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#64 Post by papillon »

For a really scary amount of downloads, check

http://www.download.com/3101-2012_4-0-1.html?tag=promo

and scroll down to slot 6. (Well, 6 at the point of writing. If it's not there, just search for my game in general.)

This is largely because they randomly decided to feature me, of course. But it was surprising! :)

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#65 Post by Megaman Z »

papillon wrote:For a really scary amount of downloads, check

http://www.download.com/3101-2012_4-0-1.html?tag=promo

and scroll down to slot 6. (Well, 6 at the point of writing. If it's not there, just search for my game in general.)

This is largely because they randomly decided to feature me, of course. But it was surprising! :)
well, two reviews popped up in the last couple minutes... both of them where 3/5 stars... anyone here mind submitting a review to there... I would, but I'm kinda busy and don't want to keep track of another account...

still #6 when I checked, papillon
~Kitsune Zeta

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#66 Post by papillon »

It probably reranks weekly, not minutely, I'm just saying (at the point of writing) in case someone digs this thread up months from now and wonders WTF I was talking about. :)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#67 Post by mikey »

That IS scary... :?
So you just submit it to download.com and... voila?

Still... scary, in terms of bandwidth... I hope people don't find out about River Trap :( (*removes meta tags from site*)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#68 Post by papillon »

No, that's an unusual response based on things like it having "Schoolgirls" in the title (gets interest) and download.com randomly picking it to be featured. Sango is listed up there and it doesn't have that many downloads.

Also, if they list something, they also host the download, so it won't cause your bandwidth any troubles.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#69 Post by rioka »

If there's that kind of response for just having "Schoolgirls" in the title, imagine what the effect would be for your average dating sim title. <.<'
Also, if they list something, they also host the download, so it won't cause your bandwidth any troubles.
If that's the case, who's going to second Dre and list their game? ;)

Anyways, while I was searching for Sango, there was this interactive fiction under the Adventure section called Facade. What's interesting is that the player interacts with the other characters by typing in their response. Basically, the game relies heavily on AI. Has anyone here heard of ren'ai games going in that direction?

Btw, Facade's file size is 781.16MB and it's been downloaded 10,398 downloads as of this post. Looks like file size wasn't much of a deterrant in this case.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#70 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

eclipse wrote:who's going to second Dre and list their game?
I definitely will. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to me that as long as the game is free, download.com won't charge anything to host the file, or for bandwidth. Considering how much traffic that site gets, I think hosting all the games there would be a great idea. Maybe they could even all be put into the same category- it could be like a replica of the ren'ai archives. And if people put URLs to the archives, and the lemmasoft forums, into the ending sequences of their games, it could possibly bring a lot more traffic into here.

For anyone who wants to make their game available on http://www.download.com , but doesn't know how, all you have to do is go to http://www.upload.com/1200-21-5142898.html and click the sign up now button

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#71 Post by Taleweaver »

I took the liberty of submitting Metropolitan Blues. Let's see how it all works out :)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#72 Post by rioka »

Good luck, you guys! I'll wait up on submitting mine for a bit.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#73 Post by mikey »

Ever since Kaori I only announced my games here. I did mention them at my club forum, but more or less because I felt obliged to. It's nothing bad though. I like my club, it's just that things have changed... :P

I am still more for generally making the site popular - not the actual game. Not because I'd need bandwith trouble because of increased traffic - I am just more for the community itself than for actual games. Nevertheless, the games should attract more people to come here, so there is nothing wrong in this approach I would say.

*stands beside eclipse, opens a chocolate bar (eclipse kindly refuses) and waits*

TW >> one more thing, I wanted to mention it in the MB thread, but this will do - I think MB should have a website. Or TTP or you know... Not necessarily one hosting the download, but the info. It doesn't have to be anything big, but if I would play the game, I'd also want an "official" web location, be it only a one-page web.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#74 Post by Taleweaver »

Tell you what: as soon as the next TTP game is out (Unseen), I'll consider a site. Until that day, I'll name renai.us as the "official" MetBlues site.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#75 Post by PyTom »

Although I haven't really rolled out the infrastructure yet, one of the things I've been planning for renai.us is to allow people to send us a web page to go with their game uploads. (Or at least the information that would go on a web page.) We'll take care of hosting it, so people can get information about the game.