Animated images within screens not always updating.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
DizzyKa
Projects: @GossamerAcademy

Animated images within screens not always updating.

#1 Post by DizzyKa »

I have this strange recurring issue with animations within screens. Sometimes the animations run as expected, and sometimes the animations don't do anything as if they only ever received one update. I looked through the boards for an answer but couldn't find anything specifically for this problem. I find that if I put the animation beneath a window tag it works most of the time, but if the animation is within a frame or fixed the animation doesn't work.

For instance I have the following code in two separate screens, but the animation only works in one of the screens:

Code: Select all

init  -1:
    image candle_scroll:
        "images/ui/char_rec_back_scroll.png"
        xalign 0.0
        linear 240.0 xalign 110.0
        repeat

image candle_scroll_2:
        xalign -110.0
        linear 240.0 xalign 0.0
        repeat

screen character_generation():
    tag menu

default cur_tab = 0
    default selected_item = -1
    default hovered_list = []

window:
        xpadding 0
        ypadding 0

add "images/ui/char_rec_back.png"
        add "candle_scroll"
        add "candle_scroll_2"

fixed:
            imagebutton auto "images/ui/charrec_char_button_%s.png" xpos (795 / 1280.0) ypos (76 / 720.0) action [SelectedIf(cur_tab==0), SetScreenVariable('cur_tab', 0)] 

add "images/protag/normal.png" xalign 0.5 ypos -0.11
The "candle_scroll" images should be slowly moving across the screen, but are instead stationary. I tried to figure out how to make a screen re-draw every frame by forcing a new interaction, but that destroys screen state like what button is selected.

The screen where this animation works is technically a menu that I added to the quickmenu bar. The screen where the animation doesn't work I'm displaying using "call screen character_generation".

Any help is appreciated!

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Animated images within screens not always updating.

#2 Post by gas »

You don't have to add them to a window.
There isn't any need from the start.

The window occupy the entire size of the screen, and create some fixed to contains his childs.
So, in a word, you're creating fixed that "Invisibly" become longer in the other side, but are locked inside the window where you anchor them. You are nott moving the window :).

I also suggest you to create transforms AND THEN statements like
add "yourimage.png" at yourtransform

when using screens. This usually work better to me.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

DizzyKa

#3 Post by DizzyKa »

gas wrote:You don't have to add them to a window.
There isn't any need from the start.

The window occupy the entire size of the screen, and create some fixed to contains his childs.
So, in a word, you're creating fixed that "Invisibly" become longer in the other side, but are locked inside the window where you anchor them. You are nott moving the window :).

I also suggest you to create transforms AND THEN statements like
add "yourimage.png" at yourtransform

when using screens. This usually work better to me.
Thanks for your advice! I tried adding the images above the window, then I tried adding the images within their own fixed, then I tried adding just the image path "at" a transform and none of that worked.

However, after I commented out xpadding 0 and ypadding 0 the animations work! I must be fundamentally misunderstanding how screen layout / transform language works. When you define a window the window is offset by default in the x and y directions to create a sort of border to demarcate it as a "window". I don't want this padding, so I removed it, but that makes my animations stationary. I guess because the window is at 0,0 and fills the entire screen using xalign is no longer effective? Confused :D

DizzyKa

#4 Post by DizzyKa »

New findings, if I keep the padding set to zero and use xpos instead of xalign like this nothing moves:

init  -1:
    image candle_scroll_3:
        xpos 0.0
        linear 2.0 xpos 110.0
        repeat

image candle_scroll_4:
        xpos -110.0
        linear 2.0 xpos 0.0
        repeat

screen character_generation():
    tag menu

default cur_tab = 0
    default selected_item = -1
    default hovered_list = []

window:
#        xpos 0.0
#        ypos 0.991
        xpadding 0
        ypadding 0

add "images/ui/char_rec_back.png"
        add "candle_scroll_3"
        add "candle_scroll_4"

add "images/protag/normal.png" xalign 0.5 ypos -0.11

fixed:
            imagebutton auto "images/ui/charrec_char_button_%s.png" xpos (795 / 1280.0) ypos (76 / 720.0) action [SelectedIf(cur_tab==0), SetScreenVariable('cur_tab', 0)]
            imagebutton auto "images/ui/charrec_locker_button_%s.png" xpos (818 / 1280.0) ypos (195 / 720.0) action [SelectedIf(cur_tab==1), SetScreenVariable('cur_tab', 1)]
However! If I use xpos as a value between 0 and 1 the animations work, like this:

init  -1:
    image candle_scroll_3:
        xpos 0.0
        linear 2.0 xpos 1.0
        repeat

image candle_scroll_4:
        xpos -1.0
        linear 2.0 xpos 1.0
        repeat