Programming a Feed the Ducks type game?

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
Quester
Completed: Inspector Magnusson: Murder on the Titanic, Emily Archer and the Curse of Tutankhamen, The Mysterious Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, 1912 Titanic Mystery
Projects: Sorority Sister Sleuths, TimeSlip, The Siren of Seattle, Adventure: Antarctica!
Organization: Quester Entertainment

Programming a Feed the Ducks type game?

#1 Post by Quester »

Does anyone here have experience with programming a "Feed the Ducks"-style game using Ren'Py, similar in style to this:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/tinnvec ... idle-hands

naomimyselfandi

Re: Programming a Feed the Ducks type game?

#2 Post by naomimyselfandi »

I'm not sure what exactly you have in mind. What is a '"Feed the Ducks"-style' game? When I load up your link, I see a pond that I can add ducks to; that's not a super-clear project statement.

Quester
Completed: Inspector Magnusson: Murder on the Titanic, Emily Archer and the Curse of Tutankhamen, The Mysterious Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, 1912 Titanic Mystery
Projects: Sorority Sister Sleuths, TimeSlip, The Siren of Seattle, Adventure: Antarctica!

#3 Post by Quester »

Here's additional description for the mini-game functionality:

Instructions:

Birds will swim across the screen.
When a bird is ready for bread, it will look up and beg.
The player must click/tap somewhere along the same y-axis as the bird in order to drop a breadcrumb down from the top of the screen.
If the player drops the bread in the right location quickly fast enough, the bird will be fed and then leave the screen. If the player drops the bread too far to the left or the right of the bird, the bird will not eat the bread. If too many seconds pass, the bird will stop begging and resume swimming. The player must then wait for the bird to beg again.
Different types of birds have different speeds/begging patterns (some easier, some more difficult). The player has a time limit to finish all the ducks

Hope that helps!

naomimyselfandi

#4 Post by naomimyselfandi »

That all sounds very doable. What causes ducks to spawn?

I'm assuming you'll provide the duck art?

Quester

#5 Post by Quester »

The ducks would spawn from either the left side or right side of the screen randomly. Some ducks would swim faster than others and remain motionless for longer or shorter periods of time. Probably no more than 2 or 3 ducks on screen at a time. The art for both the background, the swimming ducks and happy (successfully fed) ducks would indeed be provided. Game would end when a certain number of ducks (perhaps 10) have been successfully fed by the player.