Pause Menu keybinding problems

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
k3lit0

Pause Menu keybinding problems

#1 Post by k3lit0 »

At the beginning of my game, right after label start: I have the following-

Code: Select all

$ _game_menu_screen = "game_menu"
This, for the most part, works. It takes us to the game menu which is a list of load/save options etc.

Now, after every chapter I have a persistent variable that notes that the player completed the chapter. Then, when the player opens the game they see a list of chapters with the completed ones available to be selected. All of this is working ok, you complete chapter 2 you can go to the chapter-select screen and select chapter 3.

However, it seems like this breaks my pause menu. So I put that same code defining the variable after each chapter label, and it still doesn't work. No clue what I'm doing wrong.

Is there a better way to tell the game that escape should bring up the screen game_menu? I also want escape to close the pause menu and bring the player back into the game, of course.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Pause Menu keybinding problems

#2 Post by philat »

What do you mean it breaks the pause menu?

k3lit0

Re: Pause Menu keybinding problems

#3 Post by k3lit0 »

philat wrote:What do you mean it breaks the pause menu?
AHa, I fixed it randomly after a week of being annoyed by this...

I had the menu going "Jump(label)" but it needed to be "Start(label)"

and that seems to be working. sorry for the waste of time...

but what I meant was the button was literally doing nothing.