Ren py support for the psp or nds

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PSP_fantic

Ren py support for the psp or nds

#1 Post by PSP_fantic »

ILiad is now supporting ren py games so i was wondering if it were possible to make it compatible with the psp or nds in the near future.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren py support for the psp or nds

#2 Post by PyTom »

Not in the near future. The NDS is out because it has 4 megs of ram, which isn't really enough to do anything interesting with. I don't know much about the specs of the PSP, but in general I'm not all that interested in porting to a platform where people would have to somehow hack their box to play the game.

The iLiad port exists because a company paid me for it, because (if I understand this correctly) they plan to create childrens visual novels for the platform. It was also technically quite easy, as the iLiad runs Linux and X with 64 MB of memory. So the only changes were minor, like dealing with the screen refresh daemon.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

#3 Post by Guest »

Well it was just a though. Thx for the answer.

By the way the psp has 32 MB main RAM and 4 MB embedded DRAM.
I´m not sure if that would be enough but maybe you would like to know^^

Thx

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#4 Post by delta »

I think with the vast majority of desktop computers covered, next in line for viable ports would be:

* The Pandora handheld (if it ever comes out, delivers on its promises and actually gets at least a little popular)

and the major current home consoles:

* Xbox 360
* Playstation 3
* Wii
plus
* iPhone

which should all be at least theoretically capable of running standard Ren'Py games. Also, they all have ways to officially get indie software onto them, BUT: Since they all use a pretty solid revenue stream model (XBLA, PSN, WiiWare and App Store, respectively), I guess it would be only fair if the engine port for them would be commercial as well. That makes the actual porting work a matter of economic feasibility, and I am not so sure it would be worth it.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

I'd also throw Windows Mobile and Android into that mix, although Android's Java architecture will make a port more difficult.

Basically, I'm sort of dividing platforms into A-class and B-class. A-class platforms are general-purpose open systems... your different desktop operating systems, essentially. I will attempt to support Ren'Py on all such systems I can, provided they have more than a trivial market share. These are also the platforms where I support developing Ren'Py games from.

So that's Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

B-class platforms are non-open platforms, and platforms with a much smaller market share. I'm willing to support these platforms, but I'd expect to be compensated for my effort.

I do expect to commercialize some aspects of Ren'Py in the future. I'm expecting Ren'Py proper, running on A-class platforms, to remain free forever. But I'm seriously considering trying to build a business out of:

- Extensions to Ren'Py, like cardgame and so on.
- Support for B-class platforms.
- Game sales and hosting support.
- Priority support.

The last one is something I've been mulling over, where I'd be willing to guarantee a support response time in exchange for some sort of payment. But, I don't want to hurt the existing free support system we have.

I'm finding it kinda frustrating. I know that there's a lot I could do with Ren'Py if I could work on it semi-full-time. But Ren'Py owes its existence to it being free and open source... if I had charged for it, there probably wouldn't be such a vibrant community. And it's really the community that matters, not just me.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#6 Post by jack_norton »

PyTom wrote: I'm finding it kinda frustrating. I know that there's a lot I could do with Ren'Py if I could work on it semi-full-time. But Ren'Py owes its existence to it being free and open source... if I had charged for it, there probably wouldn't be such a vibrant community. And it's really the community that matters, not just me.
Well that's a tricky one. A friend of mine has built a cross-platform (Pc / Mac) library for C called PTK and he sells it. He gets quite some sales, but recently he was so overwhelmed by support (because if people pay, they expect prompt answers!) that he said wasn't worth the price (I mean, even if he makes good money from sales, not enough to justify spending hours every day on support).

I like the idea of creating paid add-ons and porting to some commercially viable platforms (iphone and Xbox are the first that comes to mind, are commercial but still can be accessed even by small business like me, so more people).

Just for my own curiosity, what is your regular job? I thought you were into renpy fulltime 8)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Adorya »

Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science

Just call him Doctor :mrgreen:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#8 Post by PyTom »

Not _quite_ yet.

And I support myself by doing software development for various customers.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by jack_norton »

Hah, a studying freelance :) like me 10 years ago. Luckily about 5 years ago I found out about shareware and said goodbye to consultant work (I personally hate it)!
computer games

Preludian
Regular

#10 Post by Preludian »

Hi,

(first post here wow:) )

wouldn't a completely new branch of Renpy created with Flash be the answer to many of the problems? Most if not all A and B platforms can play Flash contents. And Flex is free and flashdevelop too. Any you get the bonus of having the novels online.

Best regards

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by jack_norton »

Yes flash would solve lot of cross-platform problems, however I'm not really a fan of it because since I make commercial games, with flash anyone can steal your content and you have no control over it. Plus it tends to encourage ads everywhere and I personally hate ads (I bought pay tv to be able to watch movies without commercial breaking my balls every 5 minutes...)... :twisted:
computer games

Preludian
Regular

#12 Post by Preludian »

Maybe you would find this thread interesting:

Flash Development Without Using Macromedia, secure swf

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#13 Post by delta »

jack_norton wrote:with flash anyone can steal your content and you have no control over it.
Not any different in ren'py
jack_norton wrote:Plus it tends to encourage ads everywhere and I personally hate ads (I bought pay tv to be able to watch movies without commercial breaking my balls every 5 minutes...)... :twisted:
Now that just didn't make any sense whatsoever.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

Ren

#14 Post by Ren »

Assuming you're referring to that, 'breaking your balls' is a rather vulgar way to say 'bothering you' in Italian.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by jack_norton »

In renpy I don't know how to extract data from a rpa archive... with flash and some decompilers like sothink in theory I can extract everything (art, audio, etc) and recycle it to do another game.
If you think ads are fine inside games ok, it's just a personal preference, but it makes sense. People are escaping the TV favouring internet because they have enough (sorry about the former vulgar expression) of commercial spot every 5 minutes of entertainment.

Try to play a flash game on kongregate and you'll see mochiads or other ads everywhere on the site... :)
computer games