visual editor for visual novels

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Q_x

visual editor for visual novels

#1 Post by Q_x »

Hi there!
I wonder if there is a project/need/idea/mockup of making visual editor for visual novels - something like Powerpoints gui?
Cheers,
Luke

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

Re: visual editor for visual novels

#2 Post by JQuartz »

sin's VN creator seems to be visual.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Q_x

#3 Post by Q_x »

Novelty? Blade?

Q_x

#4 Post by Q_x »

Please forgive me - I've forgotten. It has to run/produce output also on Linux systems. I'm digging RenPy right now. And I was wondering if there is something like new skin for the python.
Novelty looks fine for me, but will someone port it to Linux?
Cheers,
Luke

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#5 Post by Hime »

Yes, Novelty is visual, but not for Linux. Myself I tend to use Photoshop for mockups, works fine - have you tried similar programs? :o After you have drawn the mockup it's easy to port it to Ren'Py. For further planning (story, characters etc) I use OpenOffice.org Writer, which I think is available for Linux too. And paper of course. :D

Q_x

#6 Post by Q_x »

Seems that doing visual things with keyboard it is only good way. :/
No, I haven't used Photoshop (Gimp on Linux, but smells the same) this way. Much too much unneeded work for me. I'm a visual-guy, so I'm not affraid of using it but also I don't like it ;).
I was just hoping - if engine is mature and stable - maybe there was some visual attempt done.
If no - I'll go back to my sketching and write a game (sometimes, maybe).
Cheers,
Luke

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#7 Post by JQuartz »

Is this con sidered visual? It's part of Ren'Py I guess.http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... +generator
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Sin
Veteran

#8 Post by Sin »

Isn't Linux like an OS for programmers by programmers? (Obviously all OS'es are made by programmers but you catch my drift)
Comprehensible GUIs seem to be more of an afterthought with most Linux-based software from what I can tell.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

That isn't really true anymore. A modern linux distribution (like Ubuntu 8.10) now has quite a reasonable gui component to it, at least for the sort of things that lend themselves to guis. At least, I've never been asked on linux to enter a 128-bit hexadecimal wifi key in a password field... twice.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Q_x

#10 Post by Q_x »

I've bookmarked JQuartz, I'll check it out soon.

Few notes about Linux:
I's free, you'll get it for free and it is quite well documented.
It is deadly handy tool in almost any situation, but not easy to handle. Best desktops, so only MacOsX can compete with KDE or GNOME. And command line, wich is one of most usable things I've ever seen. And all comes in many various flavors. Sometme it is too many of this (eg. dozens of window managers/uer interfaces/desktop environments).

It is good if you have:
Old hardware, so it is recognised automagically
or engineer's degree in informatics to tweak things up
or abilities in programming to understand how it works.
or you need a server :D

Still there are many situations when you must compile something by hand, write a script to do something or tweak some misterious files to get things working.
I use Slackware - extremely DIY-ish, but major, mature, elastic, fast and stable distro for oldschool screwdriver-persons. Needs almost no work *after* painfull setup and config. It is supported for years since release.
I was using Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and Dyne:Bolic (some others too). Debian seems to be the best if you don't compile too much. Lots of packages and wise people to help you. Ubuntu - if you want to have something not included, forget it. Packages are old (almost always older than in Debian's testing branch), system is chaotic, untweakable and fat. All made to have your fancy lap running flawless. Compiling soft there is always painfull. Distro gets major rewrite twice a year, so you'll have to complete or compile the things again and again. Only good option is sticking to some LTS as long, as possible. And basically installing Ubuntu you get spooky and messy undocumented Debian-like gloom.
Happy New Year, folks!
Cheers,
Luke