Help with NVL UI

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Dream3r

Help with NVL UI

#1 Post by Dream3r »

Hello all,

New to the forums so I hope I'm in the right place. I am in need of direction regarding some UI elements I'm trying to put together in NVL mode. There seem to be a few directions I could go about it and I wanted to make sure I went about it properly. I've attached my rough mockup below.

Essentially what I want to have here is the player panel on the right with a character background, character bust, then their stats listed below. The left side would be reserved for whomever they are speaking to. If the player isn't talking to someone, then the left side would be blank. Things like turning on and off sound and music, saving the game, and options are thrown over on the right side as well below the player info. The center is where the actual dialogue and thought text goes. The blank area on the bottom would be reserved for Dialogue and Action choices but I haven't decided how I want to handle that part just yet.

Tl;DR How do I best handle having a character stat list as well as image shown alongside NVL mode dialogue?

Dream3r

Re: Help with NVL UI

#2 Post by Dream3r »

Okay so a bit further with it now but I've hit a bump XD Here's the updated concept...

Now my current idea is to have the Nvl window change between three states, nvl (blank with no characters for game start), nvl_player (when just the player is "on screen), and nvl_player_character (for when the player and a character are "on screen")

After a few hours, this is my best guess on how to go about that.

Code: Select all

init:
    $ Character_Count = 0

if Character_Count == 0:
    init:
        style nvl_window:
            background "gui/nvl.png"

elif Character_Count == 1:
    init:
        style nvl_window:
            background "gui/nvl_player.png"

elif Character_Count == 2:
        style nvl_window:
            background "gui/nvl_player_character.png"
The issue is that instead of only changing the window when the character count changes, it just starts as whatever the last mentioned window was, in this case, nvl_player_character, and refuses to change.

Clearly I'm missing something here, so does anyone know how I make said system work?

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#3 Post by Scribbles »

why not just have the background (the three colored areas) empty of all info be as the background, and add information on top when it's needed?
Image - Image -Image

Dream3r

#4 Post by Dream3r »

I could do that, and still will to an extent, but I want the UI to focus on what's going on. If I have the three colored boxes just empty and sitting there on the side when there's no character, it's kind of an eyesore.