CD-ROM error?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

CD-ROM error?

#1 Post by musical74 »

This is reallly annoying, and curious because they both worked fine on an earlier computer...

I have two games that will NOT work on my current computer. I use Windows XP and they both worked fine on an earlier computer, which also used XO. When I try to install Tropico, instead of the (auto install) I'm expecting, it screams *virus detected on startup!* - funny, it didn't earlier, and everything ran fine...is this a case of my AV THINKING there's a virus when there isn't?

Second game is Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus (yes, they actually made a game of it!) When I try to install the game, it freezes on transferring one file (that apparently it needs) - why is it suddenly freezing up, when on earlier version, worked fine? It is a case of *need to clean the CDs*? Or is this something more?

EVERY other CD and game runs fine, so I suspect it's something to do with those two.

Just wondering, it's not a huge issue, but annoying. Any help will be appreciated :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: CD-ROM error?

#2 Post by LVUER »

Sometimes AV will think a file as a virus. Perhaps it's due to some line codes inside it that resembles a virus. It's not a rare thing to happen. Sketch Up 5 even clearly tell us to turn off the AV when installing it since it's possible that AV will think SU5 as a virus/trojan. Of course, it is not.

And for the freezing, perhaps the CD is corrupted or some files are missing. Again, this is not a rare thing to happen. I have several CDs that do just this kind of thing. Just grab a new one.

IceD
Veteran

#3 Post by IceD »

Nowadays most of anti-virus software detects various files as trojans and stuff, but you shouldn't be concerned as far as you use original copies. It's a matter of anti-virus hereustic programs, which often mark normal files as viruses, even if they aren't. The best thing to do is turn off your antivirus when installing and that should do the work.

As for the second game... Your CD may be really that damaged the drive won't read it. If it has some years it may also worn out. If you have a friend it's best to make him a visit and try it on his PC. You'll at least know whats happening.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

The second game freezing might also be due to the AV messing up when analyzing that particular file. Try to temporarily turn off your AV while installing these two games (and maybe even playing them) and see if it works better.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by DaFool »

From experience installing dozens of computers, there are some CD-ROM / machine combinations that may not fully function... an issue could be lack of power supply to the CD-ROM drive to make it spin fast enough, enabling a big image to mount successfully. In those cases I usually do a network install, but maybe you don't have the infrastructure for that. If those CDs are original and copyprotected it's your right to seek technical support from the vendors. If not, then you can try copying the data and installing manually from the hard disk.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

One thing you might also try is to get an ISO maker such as IsoBuster (free) or using your regular CD burning software if you have one, and then use something like... DaemonTools to emulate a virtual CD drive, using the ISO with it.
Making the ISO might tell you if the CD can't be read in parts... and/or allow you to actually run the thing since it will be a file instead of a physical disk (which would help with random disk reading problems).

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by musical74 »

Wow...this is why I decided to ask, get useful info!

Wasn't aware that my AV would complain incorrectly - always assumed the AV would realize that it wasn't a threat! - oh well, learned something new =)

Thank you everyone :) :) :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

IceD
Veteran

#8 Post by IceD »

Your welcome :)

By the way, you might try Avast. It's a free antivir software and as far as I know, it's one of the best. I'm currently using it and haven't complained about similiar problems (except hereustic ones, but those are obvious for every modern antiwirus software). You might want to take a look at it :) : http://www.avast.com