Save/Load menu is laggy, renpy keeps rebuilding the page

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Save/Load menu is laggy, renpy keeps rebuilding the page

#1 Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

I have fairly complex save/load screens, and this only happens some of the time, other times there's no lag.

While mousing around a save/load screen, the screen will lag every few seconds. I've found this is caused by renpy re-calling the screen routine to construct the page again, which takes about 2 seconds (depending on how many files currently exist). This makes the screen non-responsive for those two seconds.

But this doesn't always happen. It seems to go away for a bit if I clear out the save folders & cache, but comes back. I've tried using a plain black background in case renpy was refreshing because of a BG image, but no difference.

Is there something specific that can trigger this? I can try to work around this if so...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Save/Load menu is laggy, renpy keeps rebuilding the page

#2 Post by PyTom »

It's hard to say. It's certainly possible if your save and load screens are so complex that Ren'Py can't optimize them. I'd suggest looking at simplifying things.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Merlyn_LeRoy

#3 Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Pytom -- saw your twitter message (https://twitter.com/renpytom/status/952405982126202880) via another member, this is for Missing Stars. I'll try removing all the persistent saves and see if that fixes it. I'll followup later, thanks for the info.

Merlyn_LeRoy

#4 Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Great, that seems to fix it. All the save_persistent() calls were the problem...