Highly customized UI... where does one begin?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
k77

Highly customized UI... where does one begin?

#1 Post by k77 »

Hi there folks. I'm going to try to keep things as simple as possible for the sake of brevity.
I am creating a text game. The UI is intended to display a persistant menu on a side bar, whilst the main game screen is contained to a frame right beside the menu. There's also a top bar which displays the players current area and other various data.

The main question is... how does one even begin to go about this? I realize now that what I'm trying to do might be a little more complicated than your traditional ADV or NVL mode, and I'm tinkering with NVL mode without a single clue what I'm doing. At this point I'm just randomly changing code and seeing what it does and then making wild guesses as to what I should do next and frankly, I'm not making ANY progress.

So I beg of whatever wizards command code like a god to mere humans - what's a guy to do next?
Should I just study python?

Empish
Veteran
Projects: Efemural Hearts, It Ends With Graduation
itch: empish

Re: Highly customized UI... where does one begin?

#2 Post by Empish »

No, what you should do is study screen language, which is different than Python. Screen language is what Ren'Py uses to display things, especially interactable things. I have a few videos on it, one I just released today which goes over the concepts of how screens work. You can find it here

You could also always hire me to do it for you. :'D *shot*