Arcadia [NaNo 2018]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Windreda
Completed: Arcadia
Projects: Missing Stars
Organization: Somnova Studios

Arcadia [NaNo 2018]

#1 Post by Windreda »

Somnova Studios Presents

Hey Lemma Soft! We're Somnova Studios: an international team of creative people with a love for VN development. This is an exciting time for our team being as it's our first NaNoRenO participation, and are all are looking forward to building a fun idea alongside everyone. We've spent a month building and preparing our NaNo 2018 team of 18 people and now plan on entering strong as we start the first day of the event. To everyone participating we hope you have a great time, and to an audience following us we hope to build a game that you can enjoy!
UPDATE: Here's our game thus far for you all to enjoy!

https://somnova-studios.itch.io/arcadia

S T O R Y

In near future society a recent boom in Augmented Reality (AR Tech) causes society to be more virtually connected then ever before. For many this is a revolutionary advancement in society, but for some it's a sharp separation from the day to day aspects of reality. For someone seeking a more "real" form of escapism, then there is no better place than the Arcady Jazz Club.

Roman is a waiter at Arcady whose distaste towards this new society has him saving up to move out of the city. After his first few weeks working he believes he has fallen into an easy enough routine...that is until Eris, an old work rival, steps back into his life. Things don't take long for them to be at each other's throats once more, leading Parker, the Arcady's owner, to try and propose a competition for the two. Thus ignites a past war among these two very different people, yet a current rivalry that may hint at something greater in their future.

C H A R A C T E R S

[ R O M A N ]
(Concept Art)

The main protagonist of the game and recent hire at the Arcady Jazz Club. After quitting his previous tech job due to irreconcilable differences he found a position at the club as a waiter. His current goal: save up as much money as he possibly can in order to move out of the city.

He's currently a fan of "traditional jazz" and doesn't appreciate the escapist mindset of AR technology. Ironically he has a tendency of moving from place to place, never really settling down in one place or career.

*He has a bad smoking habit with whiskey as his drink of choice.

[ E R I S ]
The part-time vocalist and waitress at Arcady. She currently works at the AR tech company that Roman has recently quit and uses his departure as another reason to directly oppose him.

She’s incredibly stubborn, self confident, and completely self assured she'll win a conflict to the point of being antagonistic. Yet despite initial first impressions there of course is more to herself than she lets on.

[ P A R K E R ]
The current owner of the Arcady Jazz Club. He runs the club ever mindful and accommodating to his customers, ultimately treating Arcady as a space where all different kinds of people can come together. He's always aware of anything and everything that happens within the club's walls.

PROJECT TEAM

Creative Director
Windreda

Writing Team
Writing Director: Kuroe
Hamadyne
Gloom
Ultra HR

Editing Team
Swampie
StuporSpoopy
Cipher

Art Team
Art Director: Morthiasik
Likhos
Godsavant

Artistic Consultant: Eora

Music Team
Music Director: Flare
Senzo

Programming Team
Programming Director: Arán
Horroar

We all look forward to sharing this game with you and hope for a wonderful experience moving forward!
Last edited by Windreda on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 11 times in total.
“Forget black and white and try on gray. In hair color, wardrobe or life choices, it may feel more enlivening than you imagine.”
-Gina Greenlee

Please support Somnova Studio's current VN project Missing Stars!
http://missing-stars.net/

Windreda

Re: Arcadia [NaNo 2018]

#2 Post by Windreda »

U P D A T E S
March 1st: Collective team meeting, Logo finished and posted, team roles and homework delegated out for the week
March 2nd: Script work for scene 2, outlining other scenes, Music for scene 1 being worked on, programming organization
March 3rd: Character height charts built, Scenes 1-4 progress
March 4th: Scene 2 First draft written up! 3D models for the BG's are being built up
March 5th: More 3D models of Arcady, Scene 1 and 3 first draft completed, character sketches for both Eris and Parker drawn up
March 6th: Character expressions for Eris started, character designs finalized
March 7th: Beginning scenes reviewed and ready to be finalized for editors, progress towards menu music made
March 8th: New scenes being started up by the other writers
March 9th: More character line-art is being solidified among our art team
March 10th: Further 3D models for the Arcady interior being solidified
March 11th: The music composition piece "One" for an Arcady music base has a nice piano solo added, more music work being started
March 12th: Arcady BG is looking very pretty. Potential reworking of future scenes
. . .
March 25th: Gave up attempting to fill in missed days, but we're still alive! Sprites/BG work almost done, moving on to CG's. Last week for NaNo!
Last edited by Windreda on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 12 times in total.
“Forget black and white and try on gray. In hair color, wardrobe or life choices, it may feel more enlivening than you imagine.”
-Gina Greenlee

niannn
Regular
Completed: Keynote, Die.Alone?, The Villaintine
Projects: The Villaintine: Sepia
Tumblr: niaaannn
itch: niannn

#3 Post by niannn »

This seems interesting. Good luck on your first NaNoReNo project :3
Image Image ImageImage

Windreda

#4 Post by Windreda »

niannn wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:57 am This seems interesting. Good luck on your first NaNoReNo project :3
Thank you niannn, I appreciate the kind support ^_^
-Gina Greenlee

niannn
Regular

#5 Post by niannn »

Windreda wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:38 am
niannn wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:57 am This seems interesting. Good luck on your first NaNoReNo project :3
Thank you niannn, I appreciate the kind support ^_^
You're welcome :) (the Escapist part just got me hooked so yep)
Image Image ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#6 Post by Zelan »

I like the art style. Will the sprites have a similar style to the concept art?

I think it's cool that your world has artificial reality, but instead of focusing on that, It's used as a backdrop for a separate story. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product. ^_^

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#7 Post by wyverngem »

Looks interesting. Sadly Roman was the name of my friend's baby who passed away. I'll still give it a try! It was just cool to see that the name used. It's uncommon where I'm from.

Eora
Regular
Projects: Sugar & Massacre, Réadú and Nach Innen

#8 Post by Eora »

looks ok i guess
-

Current project: Sugar & Massacre

-

Windreda

#9 Post by Windreda »

Zelan wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:49 am I like the art style. Will the sprites have a similar style to the concept art?

I think it's cool that your world has artificial reality, but instead of focusing on that, It's used as a backdrop for a separate story. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product. ^_^
I'm glad you appreciate the sketches! These were made by our current Art Director Morthiasik, and while the sprite style will most likely change they also will most likely be drawn by them.

I'm happy with the base world we've crafted and am happy that we're able to tell a separate story within it! I look forward to building a visual novel that you will enjoy!
-Gina Greenlee

Windreda

#10 Post by Windreda »

wyverngem wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:51 pm Looks interesting. Sadly Roman was the name of my friend's baby who passed away. I'll still give it a try! It was just cool to see that the name used. It's uncommon where I'm from.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Outside of a few nuanced reference I don't normally see this kind of name used myself, however the name does have some relevance towards the role the character plays in the story.
-Gina Greenlee

Windreda

#11 Post by Windreda »

Eora wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:26 pm looks ok i guess
Now where have I seen you before...
-Gina Greenlee

Windreda

#12 Post by Windreda »

https://soundcloud.com/flareproductions ... p/s-637yq

My composer just released a music test file for Arcadia and I wanted to get some outside input!

Any thoughts/reactions/comments to the music file above?
-Gina Greenlee

Flare
Soundcloud: flareproductions

#13 Post by Flare »

It's pretty good :^)

niannn
Regular

#14 Post by niannn »

Windreda wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:15 pm https://soundcloud.com/flareproductions ... p/s-637yq

My composer just released a music test file for Arcadia and I wanted to get some outside input!

Any thoughts/reactions/comments to the music file above?
It's lovely :3 I want to listen to this kind of music more~!
Image Image ImageImage

Windreda

#15 Post by Windreda »

It has been a long and hectic month, but last stretch of for script and programming editing...
This is hard work friends, but soon the doors will be open to our project! We hope you guys like what you find!

-Gina Greenlee