How to design the Main Menu and Game Menu separately

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
twincentaurs
Tumblr: twincentaurs
Deviantart: twincentaurs

How to design the Main Menu and Game Menu separately

#1 Post by twincentaurs »

In the vn I'm working on currently, I want the main menu navigational screen to be centered, but I still want the game menus (what pops up for preferences and everything else) to remain on the side. I tried the easy way and centered the navigation screen; it looked good on the menu, but it had also centered the game menu's navigational screen, because they use the same menu. This is just a little fan game I don't want to spend a ton of time on so I don't really want to redesign the entire menu for this one thing. Is there a way to separate the two menus so I can move them independent of each other yet have the same functionality?

Sorry if my question is dumb, this is my first project.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: How to design the Main Menu and Game Menu separately

#2 Post by philat »

The easy, if belabored way - duplicate the contents of the navigation screen inside main menu with a different style instead of using use navigation.

twincentaurs
Tumblr: twincentaurs
Deviantart: twincentaurs

#3 Post by twincentaurs »

philat wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:37 pm The easy, if belabored way - duplicate the contents of the navigation screen inside main menu with a different style instead of using use navigation.
Haha, thank you, I ended up trying that about an hour after posting the question. Might not be the prettiest, but it works well. :)

MaydohMaydoh
Regular
Projects: Fuwa Fuwa Panic
Tumblr: maydohmaydoh

#4 Post by MaydohMaydoh »

Just to add to this, another thing you could do is give the navigation screen a position depending on if the main menu screen is shown.
Something like:

Code: Select all

screen navigation():
    vbox:
        if renpy.current_screen().screen_name[0] == "main_menu":
            xalign 0.5

##etc
Where your default position is to something like xalign 0.0. Aligned to the left.