How is the save game picture chosen?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
martingerdes
Regular

How is the save game picture chosen?

#1 Post by martingerdes »

So I have a very weird small niggle.
It's not a big deal if I can't get it resolved, but I'd thought I'd ask, and maybe learn something new. ;-)

When I save my game normally, in an event, then the picture for that game save shows the screen at the time of saving, as expected.
But if I save the game while showing my day planning screen, I am sometimes getting the picture of the save game screen itself.

I have attached a picture of the current state of my saved game screens so you can see what I am talking about.

The crazy thing is that I am only getting it sometimes, and while it does not appear to be random, I can't figure out the rule it follows.
Even just starting the game, clicking through some text, and saving once I have the menu screen first appear, gives me sometimes the in game screen, and sometimes the save game screen itself. Maybe depending on what was saved in the same save slot before?

So as I said, not a really big deal, but thoroughly weird.
Anybody know what logic the game follows here?
It's well possible that I abuse Ren'Py too much somewhere :roll: , but I have no clue where to even start to look.
Attachments
Screenshot_20181027_130523.png

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: How is the save game picture chosen?

#2 Post by Kia »

if I'm not mistaking, the screenshot is taken when you enter a game menu, my guess is, you are using "show screen" or "call screen" to show the save screen instead of "showmenu".

martingerdes
Regular

#3 Post by martingerdes »

Thank you! I think this shows me the right path! I am calling my submenus using "ShowMenu".
I will carefully reread which screen calling action is supposed to be used when, and hopefully that will clear this up. :D

(I have not changed anything about how I access the save menu, I just press esc for that.)

martingerdes
Regular

#4 Post by martingerdes »

Sorry, no, that did not solve it. I replaced all the places where I used "ShowMenu" with "Show" (giving "None" for transition).
This is definitely cleaner, since I am not polluting the stack anymore when I jump from screen to screen.

But unfortunately I am still getting save menu pictures for the save slots :(
Funnily enough, now the overwrite confirmation dialog is part of the screenshot (it did not do that before)... :roll:

Oh well, unless somebody has another idea, I'll leave it this way. I am not doing this professionally, so it's just not important enough.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#5 Post by Kia »

ShowMenu is the correct way, you should change them back.
sorry if my comment wasn't clear enough and caused confusion

martingerdes
Regular

#6 Post by martingerdes »

I am pretty sure the way I am now doing it is at least as correct as it was before:
Each of the full screen screens has "tag fs_menu", so that showing one replaces the one shown before.
And I either return to the main screen when leaving it (action Show("main")), or I take the screen to return to as a parameter.
(This might seem weird compared to a call stack, but the call stack did not work for me anyway - I always returned to the main menu with action Return(True), so I already used that logic before, just not throughout.)
So I think just using the Show method is at least a bit more consistent than it was before. I have not noticed any bugs, anyway. Apart from the save thumbnails, and they where broken before.

Thanks for trying to help, but as said, at this point its appears to just be more trouble than it is worth.