Cannot launch project (no error message either)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
kuuui

Cannot launch project (no error message either)

#1 Post by kuuui »

Hello, this is my first post.

I'm a beginner so I probably made a really stupid mistake, but essentially, I'm making an rpg styled inventory for my game, and everything was going fine. However, when I tried to add descriptions for my items in the inventory and tried to launch my project, it wouldn't launch.
Normally renpy would give me an error message that tells me where I got things wrong. This time though, there were no error messages. The terminal app (I'm on a mac) appears for a second on the doc, then disappears, then nothing else happens.

I'm pretty sure I did something funny in my code that caused this, as this wasn't occurring before. I would be super grateful if anyone knows how to fix this. Thanks.

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Cannot launch project (no error message either)

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

kuuui wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:17 am Hello, this is my first post.

I'm a beginner so I probably made a really stupid mistake, but essentially, I'm making an rpg styled inventory for my game, and everything was going fine. However, when I tried to add descriptions for my items in the inventory and tried to launch my project, it wouldn't launch.
Normally renpy would give me an error message that tells me where I got things wrong. This time though, there were no error messages. The terminal app (I'm on a mac) appears for a second on the doc, then disappears, then nothing else happens.

I'm pretty sure I did something funny in my code that caused this, as this wasn't occurring before. I would be super grateful if anyone knows how to fix this. Thanks.
That's strange.

You could start with checking if you can launch any of the two projects included in Ren'py (Tutorial or the Question). If you can launch them then at least the problem is in the project you are working with.

You can try to take the last things you have added to your script out by adding # in front of those lines and see if you then can launch the game.

In your projects folder you will find three text files, errors.txt, log.txt, traceback.txt. You might (or not) find some useful information on what went wrong there.

I hope things work out for you.

kuuui

Re: Cannot launch project (no error message either)

#3 Post by kuuui »

Per K Grok wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:59 am
kuuui wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:17 am Hello, this is my first post.

That's strange.

You could start with checking if you can launch any of the two projects included in Ren'py (Tutorial or the Question). If you can launch them then at least the problem is in the project you are working with.

You can try to take the last things you have added to your script out by adding # in front of those lines and see if you then can launch the game.

In your projects folder you will find three text files, errors.txt, log.txt, traceback.txt. You might (or not) find some useful information on what went wrong there.

I hope things work out for you.
Thank you so much! Checking log.txt really helped.
Turns out I just made a stupid mistake of not giving enough arguments in __init__().
Thanks again.