- Posts: 43
- Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:15 pm
- Completed: Several short films and games (including VNs)
- Projects: A feature film, a short film and my own music
- Organization: Audio Cabin from the North
- Skype: composermarkuslappalainen
- Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen
- Location: Norway
So first you just listen to soft pop, rnb and hip hop from that era. Then you imitate what they do...
Based on your wording, I assume you don’t have much experience with composing or music production..?
- Posts: 31
- Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:09 pm
- Projects: Aura Aspic / Ikrana
- Tumblr: Fvnes
- Soundcloud: izakayafunes
- Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
What said Markus is correct. Let me add some more stuff from my perspective.
The sound quality of the instruments shouldn't sound realistic. Music technology wasn't really great in that time, so the VST were really poor in fidelity. That's not something bad in this context, though. I love that PSX feel. It sounds really nostalgic.
Don't misunderstand me: I'm not talking about crap VST instruments. There are some soundfonts out there that may sound very old school like the Roland Sound Canvas but sounds like shit. I can recommend you the Arachno Soundfont if you want a free soundfont to try.
Strings and plucked instruments are very important too. Rhodes or synths like the DX7 were used a lot in those days.
That's all I can think right now. If something else comes to my mind I'll edit my post.
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 674
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:21 pm
- Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
- Projects: The Butler Detective
- Tumblr: katy-133
- Deviantart: Katy133
- Soundcloud: Katy133
- itch: katy133
- Location: Canada
You would have to contact the creators, as the download page for it does not state whether they give permission to allow people to use the software to make songs outside of Hypnospace Outlaw modding (the tool was originally created to as a modding tool for Hypnospace Outlaw).
Users browsing this forum: No registered users