Can you display a Visual Novel on a website?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Sadiesins
Deviantart: gabriellekelly

Can you display a Visual Novel on a website?

#1 Post by Sadiesins »

Hey, I'm totally new to this stuff, so I apologize if this is the dumbest question ever. >_> I'm looking at using Ren'Py to create my visual novel, but I know this is going to be a long journey, one I would prefer could be enjoyed with others. I have a website, and I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow display the draft versions of my visual novel on my website where readers/players can interact with it through their web browsers instead of downloading it and playing it away from the website. Do you know if there is a way to basically display a visual novel on a website--or maybe launch it from the website in a different window without the file being downloaded? If so, would there be drawbacks to doing this that I might not know which could be why I don't see this done much?

My goal is to be able to have the visual novel on my website (be it free or part of one of my subscription tiers) while it's being made, therefore bringing people back to the site to play. Is this moving into something like flash/java territory (of which I know nothing about either >_<) or is it something that can be done with Ren'Py? Would it be better to make 2 versions, one that can be displayed on a website while the other is distributed as a download? I'd obviously prefer the path of least resistance, but at the same time, I'm in the plotting/design stages, so I could plan this all in as part of the process.

Oh, and if this is doable on a website, any clue if saving is possible for each individual reader/player? All I can think is, if a reader can't save directly because the visual novel is being run through the website, I could try some sort of password thing where at each new branch of a story, a password can be found and used to return to that branch like a less precise save point. But I'm super new to this, so I'm sure my thinking is limited on what is actually possible.

Thanks in advance!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Can you display a Visual Novel on a website?

#2 Post by PyTom »

Sort of. You can see the current implementation at https://renpy.beuc.net/, but it's being worked on.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Sadiesins

#3 Post by Sadiesins »

PyTom wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:20 pm Sort of. You can see the current implementation at https://renpy.beuc.net/, but it's being worked on.
This is exactly what I was thinking of! Thank you. :mrgreen:

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

I thought you didn't want a player to have to download the game though. That method will still require it.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#5 Post by parttimestorier »

To answer the question about a password system, that's totally doable! I recently learned how to do something like that from this thread. The example there is letting the player name the main character, but you could do basically the same thing for letting them enter a password - then just have it jump to the appropriate label depending on what password they enter.
ImageImageImage

Sadiesins

#6 Post by Sadiesins »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:54 am I thought you didn't want a player to have to download the game though. That method will still require it.
Hmm... it is 'downloading' as the bar suggests, but is it actually something that the reader is taking with them as a download? I might be a little too blind to how this is working in the background.

Sadiesins

#7 Post by Sadiesins »

parttimestorier wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:13 am To answer the question about a password system, that's totally doable! I recently learned how to do something like that from this thread. The example there is letting the player name the main character, but you could do basically the same thing for letting them enter a password - then just have it jump to the appropriate label depending on what password they enter.
Yes, nice! Ooh, and as to the topic of the page in general, I didn't even think of doing the whole name the character thing. That could be fun too... XD

Ugh, I feel like I'm learning a new language while trying to juggle life! (Actually that might be exactly what I'm doing. >_>) I'm sure this all won't feel so overwhelming eventually.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#8 Post by parttimestorier »

Sadiesins wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:55 pm Ugh, I feel like I'm learning a new language while trying to juggle life! (Actually that might be exactly what I'm doing. >_>) I'm sure this all won't feel so overwhelming eventually.
Yup, you'll learn a lot as you work on things and ask questions and experiment, and it will get a lot easier! I've been gradually getting fairly decent at RenPy, and it's crazy to think about how impossible learning to program seemed to me a couple years ago, when now I've been able to accomplish some pretty cool stuff that I'm really proud of with it. It just takes time and practice!
ImageImageImage

Sadiesins

#9 Post by Sadiesins »

parttimestorier wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:09 pm Yup, you'll learn a lot as you work on things and ask questions and experiment, and it will get a lot easier! I've been gradually getting fairly decent at RenPy, and it's crazy to think about how impossible learning to program seemed to me a couple years ago, when now I've been able to accomplish some pretty cool stuff that I'm really proud of with it. It just takes time and practice!
That is totally inspiring, and I'm seriously looking forward to getting to that point. I feel like all this starter stuff is me running on drive and hope and just a stubborn refusal to accept reality. XD It beats being bored, that's for sure.