So what's changed in Ren'py? Good beginner guide?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
SuperbowserX
Veteran

So what's changed in Ren'py? Good beginner guide?

#1 Post by SuperbowserX »

Hi everyone!

If you've been around the forum for a while, you may remember me. I've developed fun little side projects in Ren'py in the past.

I was in the mood for it so I decided to try to make a simple project with the software. However, since I last used Ren'py (September), I have honestly forgotten quite a bit about it but I have also grown as a programmer/CS student.

So I was just wondering:

1) What's changed in Ren'py? Have there been any major overhauling features to the language in the past two years or so? (A bit over 2 years ago is when I first learned the language, and most of my work since then was based off of that code.)

2) What's a good beginner's guide to learn Ren'py and get a hang of it again, and also a good place to learn best programming practices for Ren'py in general? I don't want to just base my new code off of my old scripts ahaha.

Thanks!