Admob Interstitial ads

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Qualia

Admob Interstitial ads

#1 Post by Qualia »

Hi!

I'm trying to implement interstitial ads but I'm a bit stuck right now. I've followed the Google tutorial on how to implement Admob interstitials, up to the part where you have to show the ad: I can't figure out how to specify where / how it should appear in a Renpy game in the PythonSDLActivity.java part.
Should I add a splashscreen or set up listeners on specific events? Ideally I'd prefer to have something not too obtrusive, which I could show after users have finished their game and go back to the main menu, but I'll settle for something that works.

Thanks in advance for your help

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Admob Interstitial ads

#2 Post by Remix »

I have not tried using admob yet, though suggest as a possible resource, this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=36030

It might (especially the more recent posts) add insight.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

Qualia

#3 Post by Qualia »

Thank you for replying! The thread (and especially the update) was helpful but I'm trying to understand how I can setup the interstitials so that they occur in "natural pauses" (each time the scenes change ideally)

In the video from the admob thread, it says that :
all kinds of ads based on time event is impossible. There is no way to call custom android java function from RenPy RPY script unless you create your own RenPy command. I don’t know how to do that.
Does anyone have any idea on how to start coding the custom RenPy command?

Qualia

#4 Post by Qualia »

Still trying very hard to make it work, but it doesn't... Maybe someone will see this now and know how to help?