Multiple text boxes on-screen at once

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
aag

Multiple text boxes on-screen at once

#1 Post by aag »

So ... please let me know if I don't explain this clearly, but here's my attempt.

What I want to do is make a background that looks like a phone (meant to be played vertical on an actual phone). The background will have two text messaging bubbles built in, one for the programmed text and one for the player's choices and the player's side of the dialogue. What I'm wondering is:

1. How do I get the text from the programmed character (PC) and the player (P) to show up outside of any specific text box? I just want them to appear on the background within the boundaries of their respective bubbles.

2. How do I get the PC's text to appear up in the text bubble that belongs to him, and the P's text to appear below that in their text bubble?

3. How do I get all the menu choices to appear in the P's text bubble?

Thanks in advance!

CSV
Regular
Tumblr: csvidaldraws
Deviantart: csvidal
itch: csvidal

Re: Multiple text boxes on-screen at once

#2 Post by CSV »

I can't be of much help myself, but you might want to take a look at this phone message system or this chat log system. Good luck with your game!
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

Text can be shown as an image, if that helps. You could either place an image begin the text or make the text part of a composite.

For example.

Code: Select all

image text_image = Text("my text") 

label start:
    show text_image at center
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

aag

#4 Post by aag »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:24 pm Text can be shown as an image, if that helps. You could either place an image begin the text or make the text part of a composite.

For example.

image text_image = Text("my text") 

label start:
    show text_image at center
Would this work to display all dialogue, though? I'd need to be able to change it as the players are talking.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

Sort of.
You could add a pause after every image and hide the actual say window.

It would allow you to add multiple images at the same time and animate them easier, but the coding required would greatly increase.
Translations could be achieved via brackets

image my image = Text _("translatable text") 
I'd suggest using one of the above linked methods instead
Last edited by Imperf3kt on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

oliviaferguson

Australia Assignment Help

#6 Post by oliviaferguson »

If you are looking for top quality assignments then don’t worry about it. We best assignment experts are always ready to help Australian students who are not able to pay much money for their assignments. We have 1500 experts and still, now they are solving 5000 assignments. Our professional experts are working online chat, what's app, email, etc.
Last edited by oliviaferguson on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

oliviaferguson

Predisco Assignment Help

#7 Post by oliviaferguson »

We will give you with the top quality of Predisco assignment help written by best experts and highly professional Predisco writers who have higher education in engineering. We care about students and their future, thus we provide them "A+" grade writing to have excellent marks in the report card.