Your favorite character types/personalities

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
this_barb
Regular

Your favorite character types/personalities

#1 Post by this_barb »

I'm just wondering what female character type/personality male players like...

Some examples to help you get thinking:

Tsundere: grouchy --> sweet/loving or sweet/loving --> grouchy. Tsundere is more of a spectrum where the character may display degrees of her grouchiness. Prominent examples: Tohsaka Rin (Fate/stay Night), Rukia (Bleach), Chidori (Full Metal Panic!), TSUNade (Naruto - capitalization for emphasis), Natsuki (Mai Hime/Otome), Naru (Love Hina), Shana (Shakugan no Shana - Worst type of Tsundere), Nagi (Hayate no Gotoku - Again, the worst type of Tsundere).

Yandere: Nice girl who turns into a psychopath. I personally hate these types because they closely resemble some of my real-life girlfriends (minus the murderous tendencies). Prominent examples: Sakura (Fate/Stay night, Heaven's Feel scenario), Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (No specific character since pretty much the entire cast is yandere).

Super Hero Girlfriend/Weakling Self: You somehow get yourself a super-strong girlfriend and find yourself in a sidekick role (but without the cool costume). Prominent examples: Ah! My Goddess (Mild example since Belldandy isn't really a hero-type character), Saber (Fate/stay Night - Yes, I love Fate/stay night), Arcueid (Tsukihime), Shana (Shakugan no Shana).

Emotionless Girl - Does not show emotion except for rare occasions. Prominent examples: Yuki (Haruhi - I love her), Rei (NGE).

Shy Girl - Can sometimes seem like the Emotionless Girl but because of a severe case of introversion. Prominent examples: Yakumo (School Rumble), Sakaki (Azumanga Daioh)
Last edited by this_barb on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Your favorite character types/personalities

#2 Post by papillon »

If you're going to address 'everyone', realise that 'everyone' includes plenty of girls who might have originally thought you were talking about female-PC character types, rather than "you've suddenly got yourself a girlfriend who..." :)

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#3 Post by luminarious »

I'd hate to be melodramatic, but if at all possible, I'd recommend everyone staying the hell away from such obvious tropes. Majority of characters written à la "she's tsundere, so she..." come off as bland and onedimensional. I'd much rather suggest basing personality off her star sign (Gemini - lively, talkative, bright; Virgo - really neat..) or some other personality type.. http://www.ipersonic.com/type/GT.html for an example.

These may not be ideal either, but at least they haven't been done to death.. :?

this_barb
Regular

#4 Post by this_barb »

luminarious wrote:I'd hate to be melodramatic, but if at all possible, I'd recommend everyone staying the hell away from such obvious tropes. Majority of characters written à la "she's tsundere, so she..." come off as bland and onedimensional. I'd much rather suggest basing personality off her star sign (Gemini - lively, talkative, bright; Virgo - really neat..) or some other personality type.. http://www.ipersonic.com/type/GT.html for an example.

These may not be ideal either, but at least they haven't been done to death.. :?
Even with the various personality constructs, there is still plenty of room for creativity. I just want to know which characters people relate to most when watching an anime or reading a manga.

V2Blast
Regular

#5 Post by V2Blast »

this_barb wrote:Tsundere: grouchy --> sweet/loving or sweet/loving --> grouchy. Tsundere is more of a spectrum where the character may display degrees of her grouchiness. Prominent examples: [...] Rukia (Bleach)
I don't really perceive Rukia to be particularly Tsundere (except maybe when she punches Kon when he's being a perv, except that's understandable).

I don't really like specific personality types; I just like well-written characters.
Pie is delicious.

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#6 Post by PrettySammy09 »

I don't think the topic has no merit. :) It's definitely true that "types" exist in bishojo/otome games, right?

For bishojo games, it really varies for me. I prefer girls who are a little more down to earth - I don't know if there's a "type" for that. But I also really like going after the really cute moe girls (like the lolis). So it ranges for me.

In terms of otome games, I definitely prefer the errr...I guess the tsundere equivalent for a dude. XD Their stories usually turn out to be the most interesting after all.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#7 Post by Samu-kun »

Well, tropes are the building blocks of fiction and are generally not cliches, so having archtypical characters is generally a good thing. Also, male versions of most character tropes exist as well. For example, a male tsundere is an oranyan (Kyo from Fruits Basket), a male ojou is a White Prince. All you have to do is just a little bit of research, since almost all character personalities have been labeled, analyzed, and deconstructed anyways.

That said, I will be glad if more of your future works involve dojikko and genki girls. Dojikko and genki girls banzai!

#8 Post by Guest »

Samu-Kun hit the nail on the mark.

There is no such thing as an un-categorized personality. Even with real people, personalities can be broken into categories and spectrums. We have an entire psychological field that studies it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_psychology).

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#9 Post by luminarious »

Admittedly, personalities can be described by a trope. I may have read too much into the openers words and thought he may be thinking about building characters on obvious anime tropes. This is the kind of thing I am opposing.

Recently, I was trying to find an anime to watch, but after half a day of reading myanimelist and looking at trailers-clips, I felt tired and disillusioned because I felt like every other anime had the same annoying characters with changed names and hair colours.

Also, I'd like to get off my chest that making branching, recursive dialogue trees is mind-bending.. :D

Ramidel
Regular

#10 Post by Ramidel »

Hm. I prefer the kuudere to most tsundere varieties, personally.

For female warriors, I adore both the Lady of War and the Hot Amazon Big Girl (the latter usually as The Stoic).

In general, I'll go for the serious, Tall Dark and Bishoujo/Ojou type over the moeblob in the majority of cases. When playing Persona 3, I want to get with Mitsuru Kirijo more than any of the other girls of the harem. (Okay, maybe the teacher comes close.) Similarly, while the hair colors are switched, I still maintain that Squall and Quistis were meant for each other, not Squall and Rinoa. And Klan Klein in Macross Frontier is far more attractive and has a better personality when she's a 50-foot warrior woman mech pilot than when she's a 4-foot loli tsundere moeblob.

(Obligatory disclaimer: The fact that said characters are nearly always targeted by several otherwise-probably-straight fangirls probably has something to do with this too.)
----
And yeah. Using a trope doesn't mean a flat, cliched, boring character. Heck, even a character who's a straight-up designated fanservice babe can be an interesting and well-rounded character; so can heavily troped characters, once the tropes are put into play.

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by gas »

Well, first of all sorry for my poor english knowledge. The best chara I know is the "cold one" (usually with glasses) that discover her emotional side. I don't know why, maybe is for my personal experience...But the raising of emotions from a cold soul (everyone of us has experienced this kind of growth, I think) is something like find warm under old cinders: the difference between "things" and "human beings".
I'm so sorry for my intervention...
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#12 Post by Samu-kun »

(Obligatory disclaimer: The fact that said characters are nearly always targeted by several otherwise-probably-straight fangirls probably has something to do with this too.)
Are you sure about that?

Wandering Inquisitor

#13 Post by Wandering Inquisitor »

Tsundere: It's a negative, especially in large doses. Made Disgaea 2 darn near unplayable. It can be tolerated though if the character has other positive traits.

Yandere: This can be good, if the character can back it up with power and competence it can be great. Extra kudos if there is reason in their madness.

Super Hero Girlfriend/Weakling Self: Lame. MCs should be worthy of my time and concern. He should be competent in at least some form in which he supports his allies. Loser MCs are the worst negative a story can have IMO. Competent female characters are good though, even if they outshine the MC. Heck, competent characters are good in general.

Emotionless Girl: This is really neutral. It is up to the situation and the writing to make the character work. Good or bad this will magnify the result.

Shy Girl: This is fine. Similar to the above category.
Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.

-Thomas Jefferson

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

#14 Post by CaesMRaenes »

I'm not a guy but I find interest in the tsundere/hard-to-get personalities and variations of it, whether a person is tsundere in the least like a school girl who's a social girl but hard to get for the guys or tsundere to a fault like Rin from Fate/Stay (although I would rather consider her in the middle of my variants).

What I really, really like is the kind of woman who feels "untouchable" like the feeling when you meet Tsugumi from Ever17 or when you imagine Lady Chris of Suikoden 3 in her knight armor. =P
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#15 Post by LVUER »

Tsundere is a type where you act like you don't care but you actually really care, right? What's so bad about that? Sure it isn't exactly a good(dess) trait, but they still not that bad/negative.

BTW, is tomboy (or feminine) is included to character type/personality?