Do you draw/write solely for fun?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
maybox

Do you draw/write solely for fun?

#1 Post by maybox »

... or do you want to become a professional in the future?

I've dreamt of becoming a professional artist all my life - But many highly skilled artists draw exclusively for fun! So I'm interested to hear; do you want to make money or just show off your skills and have fun?

Being a "professional" can of course be enjoyable too, but it comes with deadlines and responsibilites (AND MONEY >89! + hopefully a bit of fame). Simply because it's a job.
Last edited by maybox on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Do you draw/write solely for fun?

#2 Post by MaiMai »

I plan on using art as a living... But it's fun! I'm going to apply to a college to study painting. It'll be tough, but what isn't? Art is fun, I love it and I want to use it
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

maybox

#3 Post by maybox »

MaiMai wrote:I plan on using art as a living... But it's fun! I'm going to apply to a college to study painting. It'll be tough, but what isn't? Art is fun, I love it and I want to use it
THAT'S THE SPIRIT <3 Art is fun, I love it and I want to use it - that line made my day. I love your enthusiasm <3

ebonyskies
Regular
Projects: Visit to Nowhere (WIP) and Pet Project--Cat Girl

#4 Post by ebonyskies »

I personally wouldn't want to use my creativity to make a living. XD If I did try though, it would be in writing, not in art. But regardless, I like to keep that sort of thing as a hobby. Less pressure and all that. Also, I happen to have expensive taste, so a steady income is a plus for me. <_<

But yeah, I find it great when people can capitalize on their strengths. =D It's gratifying to see a great artist or writer make it big.
Currently in the pre-production stages of creating the VN Visit to Nowhere, a moderately dark modern fairytale. In progress thread will be created once out of the pre-production phase. =D

Plotting: 25%
Concept art: 80%
Demo: 50%

Melkoshi
Regular
Projects: Jewels of Sytinane

#5 Post by Melkoshi »

This is why I switched my major in college.

I always wanted to be a professional paid artist. I spent two years studying under an art major so far. and my god, I cannot stand the work when i don't ENJOY it. I cannot stand drawing countless things if i have no attachment to the piece one way or another. So i switched to computer programming this year.

To me, drawing has to be fun for me to want to do so. and i'd rather be drawing something i enjoy, and wanting to do instead of drawing cause someone gives me an asignment.

so i'm going to most likely to freelance my art at a professional level, while still having my 9-5 day job.
--- My DeviantArt.
Game in Progress for demo-teaser:
story(script) = 45%
sprites = 100%
programming(interface) = 35%
CGs = 0%
Backgrounds = 5%
Music/sound = 0%

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

maybox wrote:... or do you want to become a professional in the future?

I've dreamt of becoming a professional artist all my life - But many highly skilled artists draw exclusively for fun! So I'm interested to hear; do you want to make money or just show off your skills and have fun?

Being a "professional" can of course be enjoyable too, but it comes with deadlines and responsibilites (AND MONEY >89! + hopefully a bit of fame). Simply because it's a job.
I draw and write for fun, but also want to be professional (after acquiring enough skill). So my answers is I want to do both. For fun ... and money! Double the fun ^_^ Right now though, it's just for fun.
MaiMai wrote:I plan on using art as a living... But it's fun! I'm going to apply to a college to study painting. It'll be tough, but what isn't? Art is fun, I love it and I want to use it
Yeah, go for it! That's definitely a good way of thinking! I like it, it's giving me courage.
Melkoshi wrote:This is why I switched my major in college.

I always wanted to be a professional paid artist. I spent two years studying under an art major so far. and my god, I cannot stand the work when i don't ENJOY it. I cannot stand drawing countless things if i have no attachment to the piece one way or another. So i switched to computer programming this year.

To me, drawing has to be fun for me to want to do so. and i'd rather be drawing something i enjoy, and wanting to do instead of drawing cause someone gives me an asignment.
Awesome! I also have same thinking here, though the difference is I switch (in the process) my job. Though because I already 26, sometimes I wonder if I'm going to make it. If I go into college, I will be about 31 when I graduate and things will be very very tough for me. Right now I'm enrolling to a short course and self-study. There was a special 6-month class but it was already frozen since there is not enough participant.
Melkoshi wrote:so i'm going to most likely to freelance my art at a professional level, while still having my 9-5 day job.
Careful, that's tough. I have several friends who actually give up their 8-4 jobs or their shops to be able to concentrate in drawing (they are pro). To be a pro, you must draw at least 15 hours per day to increase your skill. 3 hours per day to keep your skill. None and your skill will dwindle.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#7 Post by Vatina »

I draw both for fun and for business. In general I love drawing, and have been mostly lucky with my commissioned tasks so far, but drawing for a deadline is.... ugh....

(Speaking of which - just found out I have a deadline tomorrow which I thought was coming friday. Panic time!!)

I still wish to be able to make more of a living with it in the future though, hopefully with my own projects instead of having to only work on other people's visions. It'll be near-impossible, but I'll do my best :P

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Wintermoon »

I create because I must. Everything else is just meaningless survival or equally meaningless goofing off. Only in creation do I find meaning. I do not create to live, I live to create.

My muse is the only deity I acknowledge. With each work I create, the presence of my goddess in the world grows. Maybe she has other followers. Maybe I am alone. Maybe I will reincarnate. Maybe I already have. Maybe this life is all there is. It matters not. Only my eternal task is important.

(Yes, getting paid for doing what I am doing anyway would be nice.)

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#9 Post by Deji »

Sometimes I wish I didn't drop my Graphic Design or my Engineering studies to study to become a professional illustrator... It's so darn hard to get a job on that over here that I'm struggling just to find the required 2 months internship to get my diploma Dx;

My problems with paid art jobs are deadlines, my low tolerance to frustration (when things don't come out the way they're supposed to come due my lack of skills/inspiration, whatever), and the fact that I just can't drop paid works once I get bored of them xD; (which happens very quickly).

I still draw for fun, though. I love to draw when there are no pressures! :3 It relaxes me after I spend a good amount of time drawing for other people.

That reminds me I have to go finish linearting a sprite I'm having troubles with, color another one and draw a chibi commission...
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Koveras
Regular
Projects: The King's Dragon (TBA)

#10 Post by Koveras »

I write because it is my firm believe that a sentient being must create things. I don't believe in God (at least, not in any traditional way) but I do believe that each human being has a spark of the Creator in them. Ergo, if a person doesn't create (even the smallest things!), he or she is not a human in my eyes. Concordantly, a question of whether you create "for fun" or "as a job" is senseless to me. Do you eat and breathe for fun or to keep making money? It's just your nature.

But if this is about future job prospects, I am a professional software developer and administrator and so I guess, I write "for fun". I don't make any money with my writing nor do I intend to in the next few years, if that's the criterion. I do still entertain a dream of becoming a commercial video game designer one day, which would combine my profession and my hobby, but as I said, that is the thing of a long term perspective.
"Yo, Buddy, you still alive?"

maybox

#11 Post by maybox »

Koveras wrote:a question of whether you create "for fun" or "as a job" is senseless to me. Do you eat and breathe for fun or to keep making money? It's just your nature.
Um. I don't think it's senseless, because there is big difference between drawing/writing whatever you like to upload for comments and working for a company (or private commissioner). Many people draw/write during their sparetime and work with something else because they don't want any deadlines etc. - It's a question of preference. Even if drawing/writing for yourself and as a job is equally creative it's often not equally easy/fun. This is what I think.

But I don't want to argue, if it doesn't make sense to you then I respect that!

Ooo! A video game designer! That sounds exciting~

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#12 Post by LVUER »

Yeah, drawing purely for fun and drawing for pro (commercial) is actually a whole world different. Since there are some pro artists in this forum, I bet they could explain it better than me.

Drawing for fun means you could freely draw what you want and only the time you want it. While drawing for pro means you have to draw whatever they told you and in daily/routine basis (or sometimes even under strict and cruel deadline).

I know lots of people who draw for pro. Their skills are amazing but they couldn't say for proud that they love drawing anymore. Heck, some of them even hate it. Why not? I mean they are drawing for more than 10 hours a day and only get paid like crap.

Yeah... real life is harsh and unfair.

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#13 Post by blankd »

I draw for fun, but if I can inspire others with my work then I consider that a job well done. And of course I firmly believe that anything and anyone can improve.

I'd love to be able to make money off of drawing someday, but I think that will be a while/ways off before that happens. XD

this_barb
Regular

#14 Post by this_barb »

Koveras wrote:I write because it is my firm believe that a sentient being must create things.
That's peculiar. How would you know a sentient being must create things if there are no other sentient beings (that we know of) from which we can derive a comparison?

Koveras
Regular
Projects: The King's Dragon (TBA)

#15 Post by Koveras »

this_barb wrote:
Koveras wrote:I write because it is my firm believe that a sentient being must create things.
That's peculiar. How would you know a sentient being must create things if there are no other sentient beings (that we know of) from which we can derive a comparison?
It's a personal belief. :) Some people believe in a spooky omnipresent father-figure or an antisocial Japanese schoolgirl who created us all - although their is no proof of either, except some works of art and terabytes of discussion. And I believe it's our intrinsic right and obligation to create things. %)
"Yo, Buddy, you still alive?"