NoneType object has no attribute append ONLY ON MAC

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ArizaLuca
Veteran
Completed: Through the Screen, Riddle Me This, Trust Fall, Phobias, Another Adventure
Projects: The Souls in the Seams, Fata Morgana, Minecraft: Story Mode - Behind the Scenes
Organization: Astral Autumn Games
Tumblr: astralautumngames
Deviantart: ArizaLuca
itch: astralautumngames

NoneType object has no attribute append ONLY ON MAC

#1 Post by ArizaLuca »

This is an issue I've been asking about for a while, but today the whole issue became a lot more interesting. In working on the project on a Mac, the project constantly– upon getting to a certain distance– will come up with this error, and completely render the game unplayable.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/routes/evan.rpy", line 445, in script
    with dissolve
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'append'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/routes/evan.rpy", line 445, in script
    with dissolve
  File "/Users/arizaluca/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/ast.py", line 1387, in execute
    renpy.exports.with_statement(trans, paired)
  File "/Users/arizaluca/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/exports.py", line 1592, in with_statement
    return renpy.game.interface.do_with(trans, paired, clear=clear)
  File "/Users/arizaluca/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 2248, in do_with
    clear=clear)
  File "/Users/arizaluca/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 2699, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/arizaluca/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 3191, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "/Users/arizaluca/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 2091, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "render.pyx", line 546, in renpy.display.render.render_screen
  File "render.pyx", line 247, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "/Users/arizaluca/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/layout.py", line 722, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "render.pyx", line 154, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "/Users/arizaluca/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/transition.py", line 360, in render
    bottom = render(self.old_widget, width, height, st, at)
  File "/Users/arizaluca/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/layout.py", line 722, in render
  File "accelerator.pyx", line 110, in renpy.display.accelerator.transform_render
  File "render.pyx", line 256, in renpy.display.render.render
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'append'

Darwin-18.7.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 7.3.2.320
The Souls in the Seams 1.0
Thu Oct 17 17:27:31 2019
The line in question that it bugged out at:

Code: Select all

show evan blink quirked frown onlayer front
    with dissolve
Doesn't really have anything to do with the actual issue.

It has nothing to do with that actual line; I'm thinking it may be the images mucking it up. (I also have a custom GUI and Layered Parallax, but I tried eliminating the Layered Parallax (code is from viewtopic.php?t=47482 and the error still appeared. However before I put in Layered Images, the GUI didn't cause this error, so I don't think it has to do with that.)

However, what's interesting and kind of the most puzzling part is that on PC, this error does not occur. So I'm no longer sure where the issue stems from.