Making a Child POV Character Feel Like a Child

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

Making a Child POV Character Feel Like a Child

#1 Post by verysunshine »

I made a game where the POV character is roughly six years old. The story takes place in their imagination. The art looks good, and the story is fine, but I'm not sure the player character is clearly a child. Without that being obvious, the rest of the writing comes across as cringeworthy. What can I do to make it clearer in the beginning that the character is a child without directly stating the character's age?

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

HotMango
Regular

Re: Making a Child POV Character Feel Like a Child

#2 Post by HotMango »

There is a game called among the sleep, it is one of the best games in my opinion describing a toddler's point of view. Play the game to get an idea. Or maybe, you have to make the game in the POV of the character (I mean to make the player, me for instance, see what a toddler sees without telling us that he is a toddler). This can be done by making the character too short and the world around them is too big (make sure to use perspective for this, if you are the artist of course). Also, this can be done by making the people the toddler meet "Wierd". I mean, haven't you met wierd people as a kid/toddler and were scared of them because simply they were bigger by size and age than you?

nangke
Tumblr: http://nangke-art.tumblr.com

Re: Making a Child POV Character Feel Like a Child

#3 Post by nangke »

There are lots of psychological books/essays about developmental hallmarks in children and how they think at certain ages, but probably the quickest way to research would be to go to Youtube and look up "conversations with a six year old" and see what you can get from those results.