Expression Not Working Properly

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Expression Not Working Properly

#1 Post by Zelan »

I know how to code expressions (or I thought I did) but for some reason my sprite's normal/neutral expression isn't showing up the second time I use it. It works fine the first time, and the second time doesn't look any different to me, so I don't understand what the problem is.

Here's my code:

Code: Select all

define c = Character("Camryn")
image couch = "gaycouch.jpg"
image angry = "Angry-Annoyed.png"
image blush = "Blushing smile.png"
image normal = "Calm.png"
image sad = "Concerned-Doubtful.png"
image confused = "Confused.png"
image big smile blush = "Laughing Blush.png"
image big smile = "Laughing.png"
image happy = "Smile.png"

# The game starts here.

label start:

scene couch
    show big smile
    c "Hello! It's so nice to meet you!"
    show normal
    c "My name is Camryn and I use they/them pronouns."
    c "I'm here to teach you about trans history!"
    show sad
    c "As of right now, it's something that isn't taught often in schools."
    c "Even in higher education like college, most people don't learn queer history except in specialized classes. It's something I'd like to change."
    show happy
    c "But until then, there are resources out there! And I'm here to help you find them."
    show normal
    c "Consider this a crash course in trans history. We'll only be scratching the surface here."
    c "What would you like to learn about?"
    # This ends the game.

return
The first time I use "show normal" it works fine, but the second time it continued to display the "happy" expression. I tried changing the order of "show normal" and "show happy" just to see if it would work, and it just continued to show the "sad" expression.

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

Re: Expression Not Working Properly

#2 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

Going off the code I see here, I think the problem is that your statements are creating a bunch of separate images, so the automatic hiding of related images isn't working.

Your code:

image big smile = "Laughing.png" ## define the image "big" with sub-image "smile"
image big smile blush = "Laughing Blush.png" ## define the image "big" with sub-image "smile" with sub-image "blush"
image normal = "Calm.png" ## define the image "normal"

show big smile ## show "big" with attribute "smile"
show normal ## show "normal"
This means that both "big" and "normal" are displayed at the same time, with "normal" closest to the screen.

Visual fix of your code:

hide big ## hide "big"
This fixes the problem from a player perspective, but requires a LOT of extraneous code to create

Ren'Py expressions/attributes fix:

image camryn big_smile = "Laughing.png" ## define the image "camryn" with sub-image "big_smile"
image camryn big_smile_blush = "Laughing Blush.png" ## define the image "camryn" with sub-image "big_smile_blush"
image camryn normal = "Calm.png" ## define the image "camryn" with sub-image "normal"

show camryn big_smile ## show "camryn" with attribute "big_smile"
show camryn normal ## show "camryn" with attribute "normal", hiding "camryn big_smile"
There are also other ways to make defining the images easier, but this is the basic way of using Ren'Py's automatic system for swapping out images.

Hopefully that helps... I feel like it may have gotten a bit technical.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

Jackkel Dragon wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:18 pm Going off the code I see here, I think the problem is that your statements are creating a bunch of separate images, so the automatic hiding of related images isn't working.

Your code:

image big smile = "Laughing.png" ## define the image "big" with sub-image "smile"
image big smile blush = "Laughing Blush.png" ## define the image "big" with sub-image "smile" with sub-image "blush"
image normal = "Calm.png" ## define the image "normal"

This means that both "big" and "normal" are displayed at the same time, with "normal" closest to the screen.

Visual fix of your code:

hide big ## hide "big"
This fixes the problem from a player perspective, but requires a LOT of extraneous code to create

Ren'Py expressions/attributes fix:

image camryn big_smile = "Laughing.png" ## define the image "camryn" with sub-image "big_smile"
image camryn big_smile_blush = "Laughing Blush.png" ## define the image "camryn" with sub-image "big_smile_blush"
image camryn normal = "Calm.png" ## define the image "camryn" with sub-image "normal"

show camryn big_smile ## show "camryn" with attribute "big_smile"
show camryn normal ## show "camryn" with attribute "normal", hiding "camryn big_smile"
There are also other ways to make defining the images easier, but this is the basic way of using Ren'Py's automatic system for swapping out images.

Hopefully that helps... I feel like it may have gotten a bit technical.
LMAO, I knew it would be something small like this. I figured I could skip defining the character since I only have one, should have known it would cause me problems. Thanks so much for your help!

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

#4 Post by Milkymalk »

What you skipped is not defining the character, but giving the images the same tag. The first part of an image's name is the tag by which Renpy determines if a newly shown image should replace another. It works exactly the same as the "tag" keyword for screens in that regard.
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)