Best way to exctract script for voice actors?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Bruni Multimedia
Regular
Projects: Yomi Alliance
Organization: Bruni Multimedia
itch: brunimultimedia

Best way to exctract script for voice actors?

#1 Post by Bruni Multimedia »

Hi!

What's the best way to extract an understandable script for voice actors from Ren'Py?

By "understandable" I mean something they can read and understand the flow of conversation from, in a readable format.

Thanks!

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Best way to exctract script for voice actors?

#2 Post by gas »

The cheap way:
Press "extract dialogues" in the launcher. Select the "tab" option and below mark to ignore text tags.

The result will be a '.tab' file.
You can open the file in Excel. Cancel all the columns but Character and Dialogue (right click on the column letter > erase) enlarge the DIALOGUE column, set the properties (right click on the column letter > Cell Format > Align > mark the new line text property > confirm).

Save.

You can learn how to use Excel FILTER options to select all rows of a character and change the colors, for better readability.

You have now a list of all dialogue lines with the speaker on the left and the actor can mark spoken lines easily or import the document online for collaborative working.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

Bruni Multimedia
Regular
Projects: Yomi Alliance
Organization: Bruni Multimedia
itch: brunimultimedia

Re: Best way to exctract script for voice actors?

#3 Post by Bruni Multimedia »

gas wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:58 pm The cheap way:
Press "extract dialogues" in the launcher. Select the "tab" option and below mark to ignore text tags.

The result will be a '.tab' file.
You can open the file in Excel. Cancel all the columns but Character and Dialogue (right click on the column letter > erase) enlarge the DIALOGUE column, set the properties (right click on the column letter > Cell Format > Align > mark the new line text property > confirm).

Save.

You can learn how to use Excel FILTER options to select all rows of a character and change the colors, for better readability.

You have now a list of all dialogue lines with the speaker on the left and the actor can mark spoken lines easily or import the document online for collaborative working.
Thank you. I feared that an Excel file could've been confusing for actors who are not used to play characters in videogames, and was looking for a fast way to strip the dialogues into a word doc or something. Still, your suggestion is currently the best one to do.