How to temporarily disable the ability to save?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
TheRoseWyrm

How to temporarily disable the ability to save?

#1 Post by TheRoseWyrm »

So, I'm a mean person apparently.

There's an optional minigame/quiz section that will give a reward that will help the player. I want to see if it's somehow possible to disable the player from saving during the quiz section. I just don't want people to cheat via using save/load for a perfect run.

TheChatotMaestro
Regular
Deviantart: LedianWithACamera

Re: How to temporarily disable the ability to save?

#2 Post by TheChatotMaestro »

You can do this by temporarily turning off the menus.
Quick menu: viewtopic.php?t=39604
I couldn't find a thread on doing this for the pause menu- it may be a similar process, but make sure to back up your files before you try anything weird with it. Anyone know how to turn off the pause menu?

You could also edit the menus themselves if you wanted other functions available- you can duplicate and edit them in screens.rpy, but switching between them on the fly is a little out of my depth.

Note that this won't make savescumming this section completely impossible- it'll just prevent them from saving/loading in the scene, and they could always load an earlier save after the section is over and the save/load function is restored. The only way I know of to completely prevent them from doing this would be to restrict them to one save file and forcesave after the quiz.