willing to work with group to make games

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
marion_mustang

willing to work with group to make games

#1 Post by marion_mustang »

alright I have a lot of game ideas but I suck at creating sprites and stuff I can draw but sometimes I'm at a loss with certian computer programs ^.^; I am willing to work with a group, to create the games, work on the text, create character profiles etc. I come up with plenty of ideas and things all the time as I love writing and I love games. :D

I would also like help using Ren'py as it was reccomended to me for the first game I wanted to create. If any of you have tips and or walkthroughs on how to use it I'd love the help.
Men Don't Roar, Women Roar. Then they throw heavy objects.

/\_/\
>^,^<
-/ \
(__)__,
Kittes are c- evil devil spawn.

It is as bad as you think, They ARE after you.

marion_mustang

my 1rst idea

#2 Post by marion_mustang »

Okay I know most of you have played the game Cute knight or Princess maker right?
well, that's the sort of game I want to make.

Here is my idea, In the begnining, you get questions. simple ones that will help you desgin your own character for the game. Then you get to choose when your character was born, his/her name, race, (like elf, dwarf, witch, human etc) and you even get to choose a town to go to. You can move from town to town for different jobs and take classes.

You have until your characer is 21 to develop his/her ablities. I want there to be at least more then 30 different endings to keep players intrested. of course there will be marriage cannidates for the protagonist.

I have other ideas for games that I will post later on
Men Don't Roar, Women Roar. Then they throw heavy objects.

/\_/\
>^,^<
-/ \
(__)__,
Kittes are c- evil devil spawn.

It is as bad as you think, They ARE after you.

oiseau
Regular

Re: willing to work with group to make games

#3 Post by oiseau »

A game of that scope with the DSE for your first project is pretty ambitious, even with a team. You might think it would be easier to get it done with a team, but you have to factor in team management and people possibly dropping out. And, as the team leader, you can't rest comfortably on everyone else in your team, either. Never think that you can. Not saying that you will - I'm just giving you and anyone else reading this a heads up.

It sounds like a good idea on the surface...except I wouldn't advise it as your first project. 30 endings. A lot of character customization. Numerous stats to manage. A whole lot of planning for all of the possibilities. Way overwhelming for your first game. It's doable, sure, but I suggest making it once you have at least one game under your belt, so you can improve your odds of even finishing it in the first place - even a few practice ones to get to know the Ren'Py engine would help.

I don't mean to shoot down your idea entirely, by the way. Good luck. And you can find help with the engine here at the Ren'Py Wiki page or you can ask around on this forum.
Up and coming visual novelist. Another girl obsessed with writing.
x-xImage
x-xJe pense, donc je suis~

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

The quickstart tutorial is the best way to get started using Ren'py. If you are looking for people to make a team, I highly suggest working out as much as you can on your own first. For instance, actually start writing or working on character designs. Once you've written the story (or a good portion of it) and you have designs or other important things, you can start recruiting people to help fill in the gaps. You're much more likely to finish a project this way. By starting on the work yourself, you'll get an idea of how much effort is needed for the project and you can decide the scope of your game. Plus, people are much more likely to sign on to help if they know how much work they're signing up for.

Strum
Veteran

#5 Post by Strum »

Why not try asking jack_norton if you can work with him. He's doing the sorts of things you want do, take a look at some of his work.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =11&t=5000
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=6077

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#6 Post by papillon »

Jack does commercial games. Even if marion does want to do commercial instead of freeware (and I had the impression from elsewhere that she was looking for free) it's not a good idea to try and jump into the commercial team when you have no experience.

Anyway, I'd also suggest starting with something MUCH smaller so you can get the hang of how the tools work. Like, say, simulating just one week of classes at a school, where picking different classes can make your skills go up and down.

Try grabbing the DSE and trying to understand it enough to make one week's worth of classes. You can find tech support in the RenPy-specific forum (for example, there's a topic about the DSE here)

From there, you'll have a better idea of how much work it is to make, how much of it you can do, what help you need, and how to scale it up towards the bigger game that interests you.

Alternately, you could wander through the WIP forum and look for a project in progress that's doing the sort of things that interest you, to see if you can help them out and in the process learn more about how it all works.