WIN - Weird Is Normal [Demo] (Crime, Fantasy-Slice of Life, Queer/LGBT) [Testers Needed]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

WIN - Weird Is Normal [Demo] (Crime, Fantasy-Slice of Life, Queer/LGBT) [Testers Needed]

#1 Post by MoonByte »

Hello all!

I doubt that anyone even still remembers my project, considering I threw the idea for it here back in 2016 and then didn't touch that again until last year, but I finally finished the first chapter of my (total 10 chapter long) game :3
I would love and appreciate anyone that would play it and gives me honest feedback (naturally you will be named in the credits).
It shouldn't have any severe and obvious errors as I have tested it myself multiple times, but it's not impossible that I didn't notice I hadn't picked a path before with all the options I offer, so anyone who finds a bug gets a virtual cookie from me xD
(Also, my first language is not english, so I also appreciate if anyone points out some really irky grammar or typo that I missed)

I would love to show a cool trailer, but this demo is part of my Master thesis and I am afraid I am currently more busy with writing the theory part to get a good degree rather than making a cool video trailer ^^"
I have put some screenshots at the end though!

EDIT:
I have finished the thesis AND a trailer, so enjoy the full experience that I had delivered to my professors xD

---------------------------------

DOWNLOAD
Download

(While I will absolutely appreciate any feedback on the game here and not ignore it, if you don't wish to make a public post but would still like to give feedback, then you can use this form. You can decide at the end if you wish to add a name [from this forum, your real name or an entirely different one] to your feedback or not)

Tags:
queer, monsters, slice-of-life, episodic, meaningful choices
Warnings:
Mentions of: suicidal tendencies, depression, police (NOT police violence), racism, murder, bullying, abuse, rape
None of the above is visually depicted (If I forgot one or you find another mention worth a warning, feel free to point it out)

About the Game:
A terrible crime is on all the news: a young girl, found dead in the woods. What starts as a tragic incident soon turns into a horrific serial killing as a city fears and wonders: who is doing this, and why?
WIN is split into two stories: White and Black. Black is lead by male vampire Marvin whose private detective agency gets hired by family of one of the victims and he delves deep into the hidden rumours and dark secrets of the town. White is lead by female marish Rita who is a freelance journalist for the local publishing house and wants nothing more than to be able and write "Killer found" as her next headline.
Both are supported by a group of people whose relationship with them will not only change the chance of finding the killer, but of so much more.

This Demo is Chapter 1 of Storyline White and thus you control Rita. Learn a bit about her, those she knows and the general situation of the creature's hidden world. See the start of the killings that will soon define much of her life, but don't let that keep you from agreeing to walks in the part of coffee in the office.
This game offers a semi-unique (I know "Ladykiller in a Bind" does something similar?) choice system by which you can choose not to make a choice. Don't like the options? Ignore them! Want to interrupt someone mid-talk? Push that button! Also, while many games lock you into routes based on who you saw most to then pursue them romantically, WIN does neither of those things. While time is a precious resource and you only have so much of it, you will never be unable to see someone, just because you didn't visit them in a while. While the demo doesn't offer romantic options, the game will also later at no point force a romance and give you the full control on if and who to date. You won't get punished for not romantically pursuing anyone either, after all, friendship is not lesser than romance, it's deep love that is platonic.
Every character - important or not - is a "monster", in my game referred to as "Creature". White is the one with the more humanoid cast (apart from Rita) and Chapter 1 doesn't have that many characters in general, so it's not 500 mind-breakingly cool monster designs (sorry if anyone would prefer that, later chapters as well as Black will serve plenty of that)
The demo sadly doesn't fully reflect the full extend on how queer the game will be beyond some minor narration and the fact that Whitney is agender. I still tag it as such, just cause it is at it's essence that.

Cast:
(this is the cast of only the demo aka Storyline White)
Rita
Rita N.png
Rita is a Marish, a rare creature that is born whenever a human has experienced trauma to the point of breaking. Being a big blob of blackish goo that causes the worst kind of memory flashbacks, she is extremely unpopular and gets regularly avoided or abused. If it weren't for her job as a freelance journalist to force her out into the open, she would stay at home forever and never leave. Shy, insecure and depressed, but there is a spark of passion and curiosity waiting to get ignited into a flame.

Whitney
Whitney C_N.png
A Unicorn who's a journalist and one of the permanent employees at the publishing company that Rita works with. They're playful, energetic and filled with curiosity for everything around them and especially Rita. While not malicious, Rita's timid personality often clashes dramatically with them.

Edward
Edward W_N.png
He's an Angel and Editor for the same publishing company as Rita and Whitney. He is a quiet and sophisticated person, who is more likely to observe than to interfere. Strict, authoritarian and precise, yet with a calm gentleness. Something sinister seems to be hiding behind his countless eyes though.

Trevor
Trevor C_N.png
A Ghoul and Zarah's superior as detective chief inspector. Has been friends with Rita for years and always shows his love and support for her. Friendly and understanding, affectionate yet compassionate. But even he can't escape the glares of those who deem themselves better than him.

Zarah
Zarah C_N.png
A Banshee that is an inspector in the police force and proud of that. She has a fiery and protective personality and while often bashing heads with anyone that behaves in a way she doesn't accept or understand, she values fairness and justice above all. If only she could also learn a bit of patience to deal with someone quiet like Rita.

Other:
(note, these are stats exclusively and just for the demo)
  • No "get locked into Character A's route"! Be friends with everyone, date or don't date. All relationships are equally valuable
  • A tutorial that explains the planner, points, choices and menus
  • A week planner, allowing for four interactions per week to spend with characters of your choice (or stay at home and watch TV)
  • A Gallery with (in the demo) 4 unlockable CGs
  • Over 400 choices to make or ignore
  • Over 40 conditions to track things you said, did or experience
  • Two minigames
  • A lexica with informations about 123 creatures (images not yet included)

Credits:
  • Concept, Design, Art & Programming (except those mentioned below) by MoonByte (me)
  • Programming Help by friends and the awesome people of this forum
  • Hidden Object code by Ruslan Nebykov
  • Memory code by Andredron
  • Gallery code by leon
  • Encyclopedia code by Joshua Fehler
  • Credit Song by Stefan Kartenberg ft. Orrisroot
  • Music by Music Atelier Amacha and Kevin MacLeod
  • Sounds by Pocket Sound, freeSFX, SampleSwap and The Sound Gallery
Screenshots:
Tutorial
tutorial.png
Choices
convo.png
Point Change Notification
points.png
Minigame 1
Minigame 2.png
Minigame 2
Minigame 1.png
Staying at Home
home.png
Other
screen1.png
Other
screen.png
Other
items.png
Last edited by MoonByte on Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: WIN - Weird Is Normal [Demo] (Crime, Fantasy-Slice of Life, Queer/LGBT) [Testers Needed]

#2 Post by Zelan »

Oh wow..... I super do remember the demo for your game, I'm pretty sure I played it years back, haha. I'm currently working on my own visual novel-related project for school but if I get the chance I'll definitely give this a play, it looks really great (the art is gorgeous and I love all the listed features).

MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

Re: WIN - Weird Is Normal [Demo] (Crime, Fantasy-Slice of Life, Queer/LGBT) [Testers Needed]

#3 Post by MoonByte »

Ah, you might have played WIN Fateful or WIN Delivery then which are both prequels to this, I don't remember having made another demo otherwise x3
In that case thanks for having played either o/
While the main testing is over (it was so it would be in good quality for my master thesis), I absolutely still appreciate any additional testing and opinions :3
I edited the main post to include the trailer I made as well as the updated download link. Please let me know your thoughts if you ever try it ^^