Would like some help with coding an "I spy" kind of screen.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
MrValdac
Projects: Shepherd's Game
itch: mrvaldac.itch.io

Would like some help with coding an "I spy" kind of screen.

#1 Post by MrValdac »

So, essentially I am writing a murder mystery novel, and I would like for the reader to be thrown into "investigation mode" after body discovery's. (think Zero Escape/Danganronpa) I assume what I will need for this is a fairly complex custom screen with a bunch of invisible buttons.

So... how would I go about making something like this? What I want is to activate the screen, which will then display a static background image, and then have invisible buttons located around the room (placed at points of interest in relation to said background image... like a box, shelf, murder weapon etc.) that can be clicked on.

Each time one of those buttons have been clicked on, the dialogue box will reappear in its normal (default ADV) location, and will display a few strings of text, and then the dialogue box will hide itself again.

Once ALL of the buttons have been clicked on/found by the player, the screen will automatically close.

Obviously, I am sure this is going to require some very advanced screen language... so, please keep in mind I am a very fresh newbie to Ren'Py. I've been working with it for slightly less than two months. I realize this is probably a huge undertaking for someone so green, but it's an absolutely essential feature for the project I am currently working on.

So anyway, if someone would be willing to break down how the code for something like this would work (the more detailed, the better) and give specific examples, it would really help me out...

Like I said... I'm really new to this. So, any important tidbits or general knowledge you might assume I have and skip over... well, I probably don't lol.
“A story should be like a roller coaster. That is to say before writing a really cruel scene, I have to lift the people's spirits, for example, with a fun scene... Before writing a scene of pure despair, we must go through scenes of hope. And indeed, when I write, all of this amuses me very much.”
― Ryukishi07

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

Re: Would like some help with coding an "I spy" kind of screen.

#2 Post by Inksword »

There's a few point and click guides in the renpy cookbook, and you can probably find more with a google search! Here's a few on on the forums here that should help you out.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=62037
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20541
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=18047&p=235921#p235921
viewtopic.php?p=478861#p478861

Hope this helps!