Steam DLC to replace core files

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Bruni Multimedia
Regular
Projects: Yomi Alliance
Organization: Bruni Multimedia
itch: brunimultimedia

Steam DLC to replace core files

#1 Post by Bruni Multimedia »

Greetings.
I have a set of images in 1280x720 resolution on my VN.
I want to add a DLC where images are double that size and I want ren'py to use them if the DLC is installed.
Is there a way to replace the smaller resolution ones via Steam or via Ren'Py?

The DLC will only be downloaded by those interested in the higher resolution of course

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Steam DLC to replace core files

#2 Post by PyTom »

This is kind of complicated, since you'll also need to use Transform to scale the images down to the original size. Probably the best way would be to download the images to a separate directory, and then redefine your images if the new directory exists.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Bruni Multimedia
Regular

#3 Post by Bruni Multimedia »

And what if I create a GUI of 1920x1080, users who play in lower res will still get the full image or would it be cut somehow?

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by rayminator »

Bruni Multimedia wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:46 am And what if I create a GUI of 1920x1080, users who play in lower res will still get the full image or would it be cut somehow?
with the DLC Upgrade will there be new content to the game like story line not just the bigger images from 1280x720 to 1920x1080?

you can do it by updating the gui but then you will need to include the new gui folder and all new imagebuttons to replace the 1280x720 imagebuttons

you can't reuse any images that was for 1280x720 cause it will make the game look weird and off centered

but if it just the bigger images I wouldn't buy the dlc if there wasn't any new story line

Bruni Multimedia
Regular

#5 Post by Bruni Multimedia »

It is a free update, but I wanted to give players the option to choose which resolution to apply