How do I show the skip button only when the player can skip

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
justcolorado
Regular
Completed: Experiment Gone Rogue, Caravan Of Saints, HeartBaked, Hipster Axe
Projects: Iragon
Organization: Repulse.com
Github: coloradostark

How do I show the skip button only when the player can skip

#1 Post by justcolorado »

I have a skip button and it works perfectly as expected.

Code: Select all

screen inGameMenuButton:
    imagebutton idle At("gui/button/in_game_menu_small.png", three_quarters) hover At("gui/button/in_game_menu_small_p.png", three_quarters)action ShowMenu("quickMenu") xpos 1700 ypos 10
    imagebutton idle At("gui/button/Skip.png", three_quarters) hover At("gui/button/Skip_p.png", three_quarters) action Skip() alternate Skip(fast=True, confirm=True) xpos 1700 ypos 900
My issue is that when the player has settings to skip unseen text, the button will always be visible but it won't actually skip unless they read it already. That might be confuse some users, because they will click and it won't work. And then when they are replaying, they might not know what the button does because it did not do anything in the past.

I want to have a nice big skip button for the things that the player already read...
but I do not want the player to see that button at all if the player hasn't read that text yet.

is there a way I can do this with SensitiveIf or
Does anyone know another way to do this?