Born Guilty [Mystery][Slice of Life][Kinetic][Religion][Futuristic]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DVD2heart
Projects: Mr. End of The World

Born Guilty [Mystery][Slice of Life][Kinetic][Religion][Futuristic]

#1 Post by DVD2heart »

Hello I'm DVD, I'd like to share progress on my VN project. The story is called Born Guilty, and it mainly revolves around three protagonists with varied interactions. This will be a kinetic VN, so no choices unfortunately and will consist mainly of CG's, so no sprites. The project originally started off as a comic book and i did manage to work through a rough of the first issue, but i found that the Visual Novel format played to my strengths a lot more. I have already converted most of the artwork from the comic into illustrations ready to be plugged into a VN engine. I am just about half way through this process and wanted to share a bit of what i have been working on. Here's a small break down of a few things from the story, to characters and illustrations. Before you go any further I'll admit that my biggest weaknesses are my writing and background art, so keep that in mind.

Setting

Born Guilty takes place in the year 2120 in an alternate version of our current planet, so history did not play out the same way. The reason behind this, is that humans have had to live with the constant reminder that there is in fact an after life. The after life here are based loosely on Christianity's Heaven and Hell. After a certain age, you are constantly reminded on your life direction through dreams. These dreams and their intensity vary depending on how you've lived your life and the things you've done. The people of this world are constantly paranoid, under the constant eye of judgment. Most try to stay out of trouble, avoiding bloodshed specifically. This hasn't completely stopped things like war, but it significantly reduced their occurrence. Some however would like to do away with the concept of Heaven and Hell and have formed their own religion believing that a new god will come to liberate them. The religion is called Zaliphe.

Story

The story starts off following a string of murders by a killer known by the name SLUGGER. Detective Ellis Salvador and Albert Langley have been on his trail for more than a year now but Slugger proves too evasive for them.

Characters

Ellis Salvador

A young detective and war vet who has been investigating the Slugger murders. He is usually very cool headed and hides a lot behind his shades which he rarely takes off. Ellis avoids talking about his experience during the Gray War, but most around him know that he was called Ellis The Blood Moon.

Bianca Shiri

A follower of the Zaliphe religion. Bianca works many jobs, but is mainly a baby sitter. Alongside two other companions, Zongi and Sable, take care of four children.

Slugger

A wanted serial killer. No one knows how Slugger keeps avoiding detection or even the motives for his crimes.

Some out of order sample illustrations

That's all for now. I wish to have episode one finished in a few weeks i hope. I have some writers i consult with for the most part but most of the work is being done by me. The engine i am currently using is Visual Novel maker, and while i have had experience with it before as an illustrator, this will be my first time programming with it. Aside from that I'll have to look for someone to compose music, and maybe some graphic design work. So let me know what you guys think of it so far, do you like the art style? does the story seem interesting? any feedback is welcome.

Also if you'd like to see my previous work with visual novels, you can check out the sample game we made with VNM here.
https://visualnovelmaker.com/demo/mr-end

I'll be back with updates some time in the future.