Jester Under Pressure [NaNoRenO 2022] [Fantasy] [Romance] [Free]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
ilyilaice
Regular
Completed: Flights of Fancy, Limbokin, Loveless on Lockdown, Aria at the Funeraria, Pusoy Dos, Jester Under Pressure, Dabbling in Drama, Iridescent Descent, Spirits of Limbo, Serial Killers Anonymous, Ferris Feels
Organization: Orca Martian Games
Tumblr: hurtinghabits
Deviantart: ilyilaice
itch: ilyilaice
Discord: ilyilaice

Jester Under Pressure [NaNoRenO 2022] [Fantasy] [Romance] [Free]

#1 Post by ilyilaice »

~ Jester Under Pressure ~
NaNoRenO 2022 Project

SYNOPSIS:

The seven kingdoms comprising the Filippinas archipelago are each
named after a different color — Pula, Kahel, Dilaw, Berde,
Asul, Lila, and Rosas. In a castle built on the country’s
highest mountain, the sovereign of the
seven kingdoms reigns supreme.

Diskarte, jester of the high castle, has one job: entertaining the queen.
This would be easy except Queen Bahaghari has a penchant
for magically exploding the heads of subjects who fall
below her exacting standards. Can Diskarte
avoid this frightening fate?

FEATURES:

- Glossary with 50+​ Filipino terms
- Music box with 8 original tracks
- Around 28,000 words
- 3 routes (2 romantic)
- 6 chances to die
- 5 endings

TAGS:

Fantasy, Magic, Romance, LGBT, Free

CHARACTERS:

DISKARTE

Jester to the sovereign. They haven’t stepped beyond the high castle’s
bejeweled gates since they first arrived as a dirt-poor orphan from
the far-flung kingdom of Dilaw. Their hunger — whether
for a warm meal or for a better life — is insatiable.

QUEEN BAHAGHARI

Sovereign of the seven kingdoms. Born of a dalliance between
Pula’s king and Asul’s queen, she was raised by Lila’s royal
family. The potency and proficiency of her malicious
magic are unparalleled throughout history.

SANA

Former heir of Asul and current commander of the high castle’s knights.
Although not as skilled in swordsmanship as her predecessor Yugto,
she prevailed over her contemporaries from Pula’s military
academy owing chiefly to her sturdy shield spells.

YUGTO

Cook of the high castle’s kitchen. The queen discovered him in the slums
of Pula and decided to harness his potential by declaring him her
first commander. Since his retirement from the battlefield, he
has sweetened and softened, just like freshly-baked bread.

THE SEVEN HEIRS

Royal children from the seven kingdoms, one of whom will succeed the sovereign
upon her retirement or death. When heirs come of age, they relinquish
their right to the high castle’s throne in favor of younger heirs
but continue to serve as royal advisors to the queen.

CG PROGRESS:

BG PROGRESS:

REFERENCES:

CREDITS:

Writing:
ilyilaice

Coding & Programming:
Marionette

Sprites & BGs:
applecidrdonut

CGs:
what_an_animal

GUI:
Gido

Music:
Beans

QUESTIONS:

1. First impressions about the VN?
2. Which character are you most excited to meet?
3. Any thoughts or questions?

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Last edited by ilyilaice on Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Completed Games: Flights of Fancy (NaNoRenO 2019), Limbokin (NaNoRenO 2020), Loveless on Lockdown (NaNoRenO 2021), Aria at the Funeraria (Otome Jam 2021), Pusoy Dos (Spooktober 2021), Jester Under Pressure (NaNoRenO 2022), Dabbling in Drama (Otome Jam 2022), Iridescent Descent (Spooktober 2022), Spirits of Limbo (NaNoRenO 2023), Serial Killers Anonymous (Spooktober 2023), Ferris Feels (NaNoRenO 2024). See them all here.

ilyilaice
Regular
Completed: Flights of Fancy, Limbokin, Loveless on Lockdown, Aria at the Funeraria, Pusoy Dos, Jester Under Pressure, Dabbling in Drama, Iridescent Descent, Spirits of Limbo, Serial Killers Anonymous, Ferris Feels

Re: Jester Under Pressure [NaNoRenO 2022] [Fantasy] [Romance] [Free]

#2 Post by ilyilaice »

CG PROGRESS by what_an_animal:

GUI PROGRESS by Gido:

Last edited by ilyilaice on Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Completed Games: Flights of Fancy (NaNoRenO 2019), Limbokin (NaNoRenO 2020), Loveless on Lockdown (NaNoRenO 2021), Aria at the Funeraria (Otome Jam 2021), Pusoy Dos (Spooktober 2021), Jester Under Pressure (NaNoRenO 2022), Dabbling in Drama (Otome Jam 2022), Iridescent Descent (Spooktober 2022), Spirits of Limbo (NaNoRenO 2023), Serial Killers Anonymous (Spooktober 2023), Ferris Feels (NaNoRenO 2024). See them all here.

ilyilaice
Regular

#3 Post by ilyilaice »

SPRITE PROGRESS by applecidrdonut:

MintGlow
Regular
Completed: Pippy's Ultimate Quest for Friendship (and Lessons)!!!, Myx's Bittersweet Musings, Sweetly Sweetened Sweets
Projects: Acquiesce, The Dose Makes The Poison
Deviantart: MintGlow
Soundcloud: MintGlow
itch: MintGlow
Discord: Carmints#6989

#4 Post by MintGlow »

This looks and sounds really cool so far!!! Nice work to all of you so far!
To answer some of the questions:
1. Awesome, the idea sounds really cool (Even more since I'm Filippino :D)
2. They all look so cool and the style they're drawn in is so cool, so I dunno :0
Can't wait to see more. I wish you guys good luck and a happy NaNo!!!

azaraih
Regular
Projects: Alectrona: Space Party, Deadnettle Creek
Tumblr: azaraih
itch: azaraih

#5 Post by azaraih »

Wow, I really like everything you've put together for this game so far!
1. My first impression is that the art and designs are great! The characters' clothes are really nice, I especially like the transparent parts on on Diskarte's and the Queen's outfits. And Sana's armor is very cool! Is her sword a kris/kalis/something similar? :O Love the backgrounds and CGs also! I think having the main screen buttons be on a sign like that is a fun idea.
2. The characters all seem really interesting, but I think Queen Bahaghari intrigues me the most. I'm curious to see more about what she's really like, besides being good at exploding people's heads haha. (Also my partner is Filipino and loves lady knights so I think she'd be excited about Sana! I will def recommend this game to her.)
3. Not too many questions since I don't want to ask for spoilers! But I'm very excited to check this out when it's done.

Great work, and good luck with the rest of NaNo! :]
Image Image

ilyilaice
Regular

#6 Post by ilyilaice »

This visual novel is now complete!

Download it now on Itch.io!

See the forum post on Completed Games here.

ilyilaice
Regular

#7 Post by ilyilaice »

MintGlow wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:33 am This looks and sounds really cool so far!!! Nice work to all of you so far!
To answer some of the questions:
1. Awesome, the idea sounds really cool (Even more since I'm Filippino :D)
2. They all look so cool and the style they're drawn in is so cool, so I dunno :0
Can't wait to see more. I wish you guys good luck and a happy NaNo!!!
Filipino VN developers unite! :) Happy NaNo to you too. I saw that you were also participating in the jam.

This game has been released today, by the way. Here's the link if you're curious to check it out: https://ilyilaice.itch.io/jester-under-pressure

ilyilaice
Regular

#8 Post by ilyilaice »

azaraih wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:11 pm Wow, I really like everything you've put together for this game so far!
1. My first impression is that the art and designs are great! The characters' clothes are really nice, I especially like the transparent parts on on Diskarte's and the Queen's outfits. And Sana's armor is very cool! Is her sword a kris/kalis/something similar? :O Love the backgrounds and CGs also! I think having the main screen buttons be on a sign like that is a fun idea.
2. The characters all seem really interesting, but I think Queen Bahaghari intrigues me the most. I'm curious to see more about what she's really like, besides being good at exploding people's heads haha. (Also my partner is Filipino and loves lady knights so I think she'd be excited about Sana! I will def recommend this game to her.)
3. Not too many questions since I don't want to ask for spoilers! But I'm very excited to check this out when it's done.

Great work, and good luck with the rest of NaNo! :]
Thank you so much for sharing your initial impressions! The outfits of Diskarte, the queen, and the seven heirs are inspired by the barong tagalog, which often uses pinya (fiber made from pineapple leaves). I'm not entirely sure what sort of sword our sprite artist chose, but I'll ask them.

This game has been released today, so please do check it out when you get the time. Here's the link: https://ilyilaice.itch.io/jester-under-pressure

MintGlow
Regular
Completed: Pippy's Ultimate Quest for Friendship (and Lessons)!!!, Myx's Bittersweet Musings, Sweetly Sweetened Sweets
Projects: Acquiesce, The Dose Makes The Poison
Deviantart: MintGlow
Soundcloud: MintGlow
itch: MintGlow
Discord: Carmints#6989

#9 Post by MintGlow »

Oooh, congrats on the release!!! You guys did great :D
It might not be very soon since I'm busy with school, but I'll definitely check it out with other NaNos since it looks awesome!! 🇵🇭

ilyilaice
Regular

#10 Post by ilyilaice »

MintGlow wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:41 am Oooh, congrats on the release!!! You guys did great :D
It might not be very soon since I'm busy with school, but I'll definitely check it out with other NaNos since it looks awesome!! 🇵🇭
Of course! Good luck with your schoolwork!