Can't get my fullscreen movie to work

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Phoenyx75

Can't get my fullscreen movie to work

#1 Post by Phoenyx75 »

I'm trying to add an mp4 movie to my renpy game, but it's not working- it basically acts like I didn't call it to play my movie. I found this renpy tutorial on adding movies: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/movie.html But it didn't work. I'm wondering if perhaps the mp4 format I'm using isn't right? This is the line I added to my script: $ renpy.movie_cutscene("Coatepec_Van.mp4") , with Caotepec_Van.mp4 being the name of my movie. My movie file is in the game folder of the game I'm working on. Any suggestions welcome.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Can't get my fullscreen movie to work

#2 Post by Ocelot »

Which video and audio codecs does your movie use?
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

Phoenyx75 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:30 pm I'm trying to add an mp4 movie to my renpy game, but it's not working- it basically acts like I didn't call it to play my movie. I found this renpy tutorial on adding movies: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/movie.html But it didn't work. I'm wondering if perhaps the mp4 format I'm using isn't right? This is the line I added to my script: $ renpy.movie_cutscene("Coatepec_Van.mp4") , with Caotepec_Van.mp4 being the name of my movie. My movie file is in the game folder of the game I'm working on. Any suggestions welcome.
mp4 is not part of the MPEG-4 part 2 codec - the same format used for DVD movies. You are probably confusing it with h.264, which is commonly used in an mp4 format, and is MPEG-4 part 10

You need to use one of the following
VP9
VP8
Theora
MPEG-4 part 2 (including Xvid and DivX)
MPEG-2
MPEG-1

in one of the container formats below
WebM
Matroska
Ogg
AVI
Various kinds of MPEG stream.

I would suggest vp9 in an mkv format. Set your video output encoder / recording software to this format and extension.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Phoenyx75

#4 Post by Phoenyx75 »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:15 am
Phoenyx75 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:30 pm I'm trying to add an mp4 movie to my renpy game, but it's not working- it basically acts like I didn't call it to play my movie. I found this renpy tutorial on adding movies: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/movie.html But it didn't work. I'm wondering if perhaps the mp4 format I'm using isn't right? This is the line I added to my script: $ renpy.movie_cutscene("Coatepec_Van.mp4") , with Caotepec_Van.mp4 being the name of my movie. My movie file is in the game folder of the game I'm working on. Any suggestions welcome.
mp4 is not part of the MPEG-4 part 2 codec - the same format used for DVD movies. You are probably confusing it with h.264, which is commonly used in an mp4 format, and is MPEG-4 part 10

You need to use one of the following
VP9
VP8
Theora
MPEG-4 part 2 (including Xvid and DivX)
MPEG-2
MPEG-1

in one of the container formats below
WebM
Matroska
Ogg
AVI
Various kinds of MPEG stream.

I would suggest vp9 in an mkv format. Set your video output encoder / recording software to this format and extension.
Thanks :-). I had thought that perhaps mp4 might not be MPEG-4 Part 2, but since it said nothing about the format being wrong, I thought that probably wasn't it :-p.

Phoenyx75

#5 Post by Phoenyx75 »

Ocelot wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:41 am Which video and audio codecs does your movie use?
All I know is that my movie's extension is mp4. I now see that this is apparently not a format that renpy works with. Thanks for the question :-)

Phoenyx75

#6 Post by Phoenyx75 »

Alright, so I used handbrake to convert my mp4 movie into a webm movie, using the VP9 MKV 1080p30 (Modified) format. I got the same problem- basically, it ran through the rest of the code and then it just ignored my line of code to show the movie. Here's my precise code, skipping the initial define statement and removing some # stuff:

label start:

scene bg room

show eileen happy

e "You've created a new Ren'Py game."

e "Once you add a story, pictures, and music, you can release it to the world!"

$ renpy.movie_cutscene("Coatepec_Van.webm")

return

jeffster
Veteran

#7 Post by jeffster »

Well the code itself is correct. My clips (VP8 / webm) play no problem.

Phoenyx75

#8 Post by Phoenyx75 »

jeffster wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:41 am Well the code itself is correct. My clips (VP8 / webm) play no problem.
Thanks for your response :-). I figured out the problem. Or at least got it to work. I guessed that perhaps I got the encoding wrong again somehow, so I re encoded it. This time it worked :-).