Block building front-end language

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
josergc
Organization: Lucentinian Works Co Ltd
Github: josergc

Block building front-end language

#1 Post by josergc »

Hello! While showing to my kids about Ren'Py, I got this question: Is there any block building front-end language to wrap up the language used for writing the visual novels of Ren'Py? like the block building front-end that are used, for example, in the programming language Scratch. Thank you in advance!

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Block building front-end language

#2 Post by Remix »

If you can start on the path of writing one I'm sure many developers might try to help.
Not an easy thing to do though.

Ren'Py, through its DSL (Domain Specific Language) tries to make it easy to create a basic VN and, through offering that path, then hopes to open access to a community of like minded individuals with talents in all areas.
Programmers, Artists, Musicians, Voice Artists, Translators, Promoters, Testers... etc etc

Learning the initial ropes, just the reasonably basic text formats for dialogue helps take artistic talent along a road that introduces them to all aspects of the industry... Making that all just drag-and-drop has merits... and deficits... and would take many hundreds of hours...

No matter their questions, they will find help (and maybe friends) here.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

josergc
Organization: Lucentinian Works Co Ltd
Github: josergc

Re: Block building front-end language

#3 Post by josergc »

Thank you for the advice! Yes, actually, I started to write a clone of the Colossal Cave with Ren'Py, using in part what Ren'Py offers, in part using Python for managing some logics. Ren'Py is awesome, really help me build the minimum framework that I was needing with ease. But when my kids came to ask me to add this and change that, but they are not skilled on typing code, I was wondering if they could use building blocks to write their own VN. They joined classes about Minecraft Education edition and they use these building blocks environment, like in Scratch, to program a robot, with the typical loops, conditions, actions and event handlers, so that, I was wondering if someone has tried to take one of these environments to compile to Ren'Py scripts. I was thinking in browsing github to look for such kind of projects to see if they are extensible to output Ren'Py code as well. Just wondering if someone in here got the same idea.