New game best choice: Ren'Py 8.0 or Ren'Py 7.5 ?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mikec

New game best choice: Ren'Py 8.0 or Ren'Py 7.5 ?

#1 Post by mikec »

I'm planning to start a new renpy game project and my question is, what will be the best renpy version choice to start with? In theory I know it should be renpy 8.0 but Web support is critical on my case and i've read on release info that for 0.8 it "Temporarily removes support for the web platform" how soon will be those releases? I don't mind waiting a 2-3 months but not more than that. Thanks.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: New game best choice: Ren'Py 8.0 or Ren'Py 7.5 ?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

The main difference will be do you want to code with python 2.7 (use renpy 7.5) or python 3 (use renpy 8)
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#3 Post by Ocelot »

If you do not have strong bias towards Python 2.7, you should pick RenPy 8.
Because it is bloody annoying when you spend half an hour looking for syntax error in your code and finally figuring out that this is only supported in python 3. Most of modern guides, tutorials and QA target Python 3 too, so you will be more likely to find a solution that will work in Python 3 but not before, than reverse..
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

zmook
Veteran

#4 Post by zmook »

Renpy 8 is the future, and seems pretty solid in the present. Starting a new game, use Renpy 8.

The only obvious reason to work in Renpy 7.5 is if you started the project ages ago and have a ton of code that would be troublesome to update. If you think you have a very good reason to start a new project in 7.5, I'd *still* advise thinking twice -- I think there's pretty decent odds you'll regret it in a year or two.
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM