Disabling All Skipping

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Shake0615
Regular

Disabling All Skipping

#1 Post by Shake0615 »

Hello,

How can you disable click-induced skipping? I've already changed the config.allow_skipping to false, but I want to be able to temporarily disallow the text to move forward until the entire string is displayed. Thanks.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

Re: Disabling All Skipping

#2 Post by chronoluminaire »

Don't.
At least, don't if you want people to play your game.
If a user interface does things like that do me, I'll just avoid playing the game. Skipping exists for a reason.

And certainly, certainly don't if you're stopping people from turning the "text cps" up to maximum. I read fast. I want to read text at my pace, not the pace some developer's decided for me. I have text cps at maximum so "the entire string is displayed" as soon as any of it appears. If you're preventing this, then chances are high your game will just repel a lot of players like me.

(There are certain cases where using this might be less repellent, like in a movie or providing karaoke-style subtitles for a vocal song or some such. But for VN text? Don't do it.)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

chronoluminaire wrote:Don't.
At least, don't if you want people to play your game.
If a user interface does things like that do me, I'll just avoid playing the game. Skipping exists for a reason.

And certainly, certainly don't if you're stopping people from turning the "text cps" up to maximum. I read fast. I want to read text at my pace, not the pace some developer's decided for me. I have text cps at maximum so "the entire string is displayed" as soon as any of it appears. If you're preventing this, then chances are high your game will just repel a lot of players like me.

(There are certain cases where using this might be less repellent, like in a movie or providing karaoke-style subtitles for a vocal song or some such. But for VN text? Don't do it.)
Completely agree with chronoluminaire. One thing I hate from Phoenix Wright series is that the text is so slow when you play it the first time. I can easily turn my back to games like that if they don't have some great things to offer... (Phoenix Wright have that obviously, so I forgive them ^_^ )
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Shake0615
Regular

#4 Post by Shake0615 »

chronoluminaire wrote:(There are certain cases where using this might be less repellent, like in a movie or providing karaoke-style subtitles for a vocal song or some such. But for VN text? Don't do it.)
Well, the plan is only to have it during a few short cutscene type sequences. Once the cutscene is finished, I'd turn the skipping right back on. And its not so much a VN anyway so the player won't be skipping through the entire game just to get to a few choice menus to get a new ending.

Gumaster
Regular

#5 Post by Gumaster »

Not sure if it's what you want, but I use

Code: Select all

$ ui.pausebehavior(1.0)
$ ui.interact ()
to disable skipping via any means (control or fast clicking) for things like day change cgs (the regular transition lasts like, 6 seconds, this simply doesn't allow you to skip it for the first second, since my friends kept complaining they accidentally the cg when they clicked too fast, and this just lets you know that there is a day change, while not forcing you to sit through the entire transition)
I don't know how disable it for anything other than a fixed time duration though, so if you're using this for text, you'll probably have to force the cps to a certain value for that line, and set a pause length that matches how long it takes for the line to appear. Not exactly clever or neat, but hey. A set cps would probably be good for what you have in mind anyway, if you're forcing it to be unskippable for added effect.
P. S. Speaking of which, the only time you should do this is if it's going to give extra impact to the first playthrough of that part, and not simply to prevent the user from skipping through it. F/SN does this nicely in one of the
angra mainyu scenes when the curse of all the evils in the world is being imprinted on your mind
, where the text slows and clicking is disabled. You can still control-skip through it, but it's on the kirikiri engine not renpy, and I have no idea how to do something like that.

Shake0615
Regular

#6 Post by Shake0615 »

I think just a script that will allow me to straight up disable all forms of skipping will be better. Again, this isn't going to be used to force readers to stay at a certain pace for the entire game, just to disable someone from blowing past important info during cutscenes.

Shake0615
Regular

#7 Post by Shake0615 »

Pretty please? I promise not to abuse the power you give me.

The ui.pausebehavior didn't work quite the way I need the code to. I just need a variable that will let me toggle any form of skipping.

Thanks! :)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#8 Post by chronoluminaire »

All right, since you promise ;)

There's a semi-undocumented parameter to renpy.pause which makes the pauses "hard". You can specify it like this:

Code: Select all

$ renpy.pause(0.5, hard=True)
That'll prevent most kinds of skipping through that pause.

Use this power wisely, for good and not for evil.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#9 Post by LVUER »

chronoluminaire wrote:Use this power wisely, for good and not for evil.
Yeah, like making player think that the developer hate them ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW