size_group is xsize only?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

size_group is xsize only?

#1 Post by Kia »

I've been testing size group and looks like it only matches xsize
Screenshot_2.png
I wonder if that's the correct behavior? And is it possible to match ysize too? Maybe decide which dimension to match?
Also, as a lower priority, empty frames stretch to fill the parent, it would be great if we can determine if the frame is doing that, and force it to fit the other frames, instead of stretching those out because this one is the biggest.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: size_group is xsize only?

#2 Post by Ocelot »

IIRC, empty frames do that, because there are no empty frames. If frame does not contain children, a fixed is created implicitely. And fixed default behavior is to expand to all avaliable space.

And I believe size_group does not work well with dynamic content. If you will try to make a bunch of buttons which have dynamic captions, their sizes would not change, even when it logically should.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: size_group is xsize only?

#3 Post by Kia »

My intention with size_group is saving myself some time calculating the correct ysize when I'm changing the font or something'. It works like a charm in x direction, but not so much in y. The frame thing was just an afterthought suggestion.