[SOLVED - Legacy] Eleven old themes?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
OldGoateye

[SOLVED - Legacy] Eleven old themes?

#1 Post by OldGoateye »

Does someone have a link to them?

I enjoy the restrictions of making things with very limited assets and predefined conditions.
When I'm in a dryspell, having those as a jumpstart is a good way to make a quick novel and get back into my main work.
I made the mistake of updating, and now it appears they're lost forever.

Change like that is terrible, I'm desperately hoping there's a way to bring back the theme creation menu; I already know how to create my own themes, sometimes I don't want to. If there's any way I can bring back the classic themes and their creation menu for when I want to do an 800 x 600 miniwork, I'd be eternally grateful.

I'm assuming it's possible because I can change the themes on an older project? I'm probably missing something right in front of me.
Last edited by OldGoateye on Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Eleven old themes?

#2 Post by Ocelot »

IIRC they are not compatible with RenPy anymore. There is a compatibility shim which checks if you are trying to run an old game to turn off modern features, but I am not sure if those themes would work in a new project.

You can simply download old version of RenPy and create your project there.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

OldGoateye

Re: Eleven old themes?

#3 Post by OldGoateye »

That's incredibly disappointing.

Nothing good can be allowed to exist, huh.
It just always has to be new.
Well, that's just how it is.

Even if it just means I'll have to juggle multiple installations until one is 'legacy software' with the implication that it deserves painful death because only new things are good. Dang.

Right, well. Thanks for the answer - I do appreciate it.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: [SOLVED - Legacy] Eleven old themes?

#4 Post by Donmai »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52171&p=497430#p497430

Because I have a lot of old projects still in the making, I keep the old GUI at hand. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the old GUI is still compatible with newer versions. How do I know it? Well, it seems the Ren'Py Launcher still makes use of it.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

OldGoateye

Re: [SOLVED - Legacy] Eleven old themes?

#5 Post by OldGoateye »

Donmai...

Thank you so, so so so so so much.

Words alone can't thank you enough.
Maybe I'll finish my big projects before I go, maybe not.
But a huge part of what Renpy means to me is doing projects for fun.
When I get burned out on longer works, just being able to plug-and-play, focus on writing and sound design is so incredibly important to me.
I do understand why moving things forward is important to people. But this was, and is, important to me.

Thank you..!

Editing to add, thank you Ocelot, too. If my response earlier was brusque it was because I was said - never because I don't appreciate help.